Chapter 24

Aliyah P.O.V.

Ow, not to tight." I lined my lips with lipliner, as mama finished braiding my last cornrow. "Is there a specific reason why you wanted you hair in conrows tonight?" I opened up my liquid eyeliner and began lining my eyes.

"Yeah, it goes with my outfit." She shook her head and chuckled and she continued to braid. "Right." I leaned in closer to the mirror, making sure I got my cat eye perfect.

"......So where are you guys going?" Mama asked, breaking the awkward silence that was still around us, everytime we were left alone together.

"It was my turn to pick, so I decided on Dave and Busters." Mama smirked. "That's my girl, you have money right?" I nodded

"Yeah, but I think Marcus is paying." Her eyebrows shot up. "Really? Was that the reason why he wanted a job? So he could take my daughter out?"

"No, it's a plus though." I finished up my eyeliner, just in time for mama to be finishing my last braid.

"He seems like a nice boy, but stil don't forget what I told you." I nodded. "I know mama." She let out a small smile

"Alright, All done." I sat up straight and looked at myself in the mirror, making sure everything was on point.

"You look beautiful baby." I slightly smiled at her through the mirror. "...I remember when you were five, and you hated to get your hair done." She said in a chuckle.

"You never wanted to wear it down either, all you wore were buns, Im glad you grew out of that." I let out another faint smile. "...Yeah."

Even though a few weeks had passed, things were still very awkward between mama and I. The only time things would be slightly normal was when I volunteered at the shop, since we only spoke to each other when necessary, and nine times out of ten, it as something pertaining to the shop.

I was trying my best to act like everything was okay, since I didn't want another lecture from daddy, but it was hard as hell to keep up. I grabbed my black clutch purse off my dresser and dropped my phone in it.

"Li-Li." I looked up at my mirror and seen daddy standing in the doorway. "Marlon is here." I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"It's Marcus daddy." He fanned me off, walking away.

"He's so petty." I said, standing up from the edge of the bed. Mama chuckled and shook her head. "Don't mind him."

"You got everything?" I nodded as I pulled up my high waisted jeans in the mirror. "Yeah, Im good." I turned away from the mirror and stepped out of the room first and mama followed behind me.

I walked down the stairs, trying to fight the feeling of butterflies that just formed in my stomach. I didn't know why I was so anxious, seeing as how I see him all the time and this was our second date.

I held onto the railing as I stepped down the last step, exposing myself to Marcus.I slightly smiled once I seen him standing there, but that quickly changed once I seen daddy infront of him, talking his ear off.

"You should know all the rules now Marlon, so Im not gon repeat muself ight? Just make sure you respect my baby girl and have her back by 11:30 tonight."

My brows shot up. "11:30? That's nice of you." Mama said, causing daddy to quickly turn around. "Im a nice guy." He said in a monotone voice. He turned back around and have Marcus a look.

I slightly rolled my eye and gave daddy a quick hug, just wanting to get out of here. "Come on Marcus." I said, loud enough for daddy to hear.

"Come on August." Mama said, pulling daddy back upstairs. Marcus held the front door open for me as I walked out.