Chapter 6

I woke up and went to the bathroom; my body was sore from last night's breakdown. I felt dead inside; it was as if she had stolen my soul. I checked my phone, and noticed that I had three texts from Jasmine and a missed call from Tyrone. I did not bother to read her messages, so I just called Ty back.

"Hey brotha, what are you up to?" he greeted me.

"Jasmine's engaged," I blurted out.

He was silent for a second. "Damn, are you sure?"

"Yes, I was there when he asked her," I answered coldly.

"Damn bro, that's fucked up. Are you good?"

"I'm numb, but at the same time I'm in so much pain," I admitted.

"I'm sorry man, but the best thing to do right now is to just let her go and move on. She's off the market now."

I sighed deeply, "Yeah, you're right."

I suddenly heard the door being unlocked and opened. I turned around and found Jasmine standing in the doorway carrying two empty boxes. I quickly turned back around. "Hey Ty, I'll hit you up later," I whispered.

"Alright brotha, be safe," he responded as he hung up.

I put my phone in my back pocket, and walked straight to the bathroom. I did not have anything nice to say to her. I could hear her shuffling things on her side of the room, probably putting them in the boxes. I guess she was actually moving out; although, it had only been a night since she found out she was getting married. Maybe it was for the best.

I waited in the bathroom for what seemed like forever, hoping that she would leave soon. My heart could not handle seeing her, but somehow I still wanted to grab her and hold her in my arms.

I heard a soft knock on the bathroom door. "Dre, can we talk?" she asked.

I gritted my teeth. "No, I have nothing to say."

"Dre, you're supposed to be happy for me. I don't know why you're so angry."

I frowned. "Really? You don't understand why I would be upset?" I asked in disbelief. Did she not pay attention to me at all? Was she completely unaware of my feelings for her?

"Look, we have been best friends for a long time now, and I just want you to support me," she stated with a frustrated sigh.

I threw open the bathroom door to see her standing in the doorway with tears in her eyes. She was wearing a white sundress with blue flowers all over it. She looked beautiful as always, but now I could not see her the same way as I had last night; she was officially someone else's.

"Jasmine, just leave. I have nothing left to say to you," I replied.

She frowned, "What the hell is wrong with you? Is it because you do not like Michael? Do you not want me to be with him?" she asked with hysteria in her voice.

No, it is because I love you, I thought.

I felt like she was ripping my heart from my chest, but none of that mattered now. It was too late.

I sighed in frustration, and pulled her into a gentle hug. "No, that's not it. I just want what's best for you."

She wrapped her arms around me. "Well, I honestly believe that Michael has grown up, and he's ready to be the man I need," she stated softly, "don't you think so?"

"Considering that he just cheated on you three months ago...hell no," I exclaimed.

"I guess I'm hoping since he proposed, he's deciding to change for me," she explained with a gloomy sigh.