Chapter 12

TRIGGER WARNING: SEXUAL ASSAULT

I couldn't speak. I turned around and took off down the stairs. I gasped; it felt like I couldn't breathe. I could not even think clearly. Why? Why would she betray me? Why would she hurt me like that? Martha and Jeremy turned to look at me as I ran past them towards the door. "Honey, are you okay?" Martha asked.

I could not respond; I needed fresh air badly. As I made it outside, I collapsed on the lawn. It felt like my heart was being torn from my chest, and I could not handle the pain. "Why Jasmine?" I sobbed loudly.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Jeremy crouching beside me, "it's okay son, let it all out," he mumbled.

I buried my head in his chest, "I-I thought she loved me," I stammered. I cried for what seemed like forever, wanting to die just to end the pain. After I was done, I dried my eyes. I suddenly felt a new feeling...numbness. It felt like I had just cried out every fuck I ever gave. She showed me her true colors, and all I wanted now was revenge.

Jeremy got up and handed me the keys to his black truck. "Son, get you some fresh air," he sighed, "you're going to need it because they just talked to us about having the engagement party here tomorrow afternoon."

I swallowed hard, "Thank you Sir, I appreciate everything you have done for me," I stated.

"Dre, you're a good guy, and I know you don't deserve any of the shit she's doing to you. I feel like in her heart, she knows what she is doing is wrong," he responded, "I hate to say it, but she's going to realize she made a mistake and it's going to be too late." As he was walking back into the house, he said, "I'll get you a plane ticket for tomorrow tonight."

I got into the car and sped off to a department store. I ran inside, and looked for an associate. I finally found an older man with a red vest on and stopped him, "Excuse me Matt, can you help me find something?" I asked politely.

He was delighted that I had called him by his name, which was in plain sight on his vest. "Yes Sir, how can I help you?"

"I need a camera...a very small one that will be undetectable," I replied.

He led me over to aisle 6. "Here you go Sir," he stated, "we have cameras in all types of sizes, so you should find one small enough. We even have some that you can view with color and sound."

I nodded my head, "Perfect...thanks Matt."

Once he walked away, I searched the shelf for what I was looking for. My eyes immediately landed on the perfect camera...it was small, had sound, color, and I could watch from an app on my phone. After I purchased it, I called Ty as I was walking to the car. He did not answer so I left him a voicemail, "Hey Ty, I'm sorry for the way I acted earlier. You were right, but I had to see it for myself. Sorry again bro, and call me back when you get the chance."

I grabbed some coffee and went back to the house. As I was walking in, I put the bag with the camera in the pocket of my jeans. Martha, Jeremy, Michael, and Jasmine were sitting at the table, probably discussing plans for tomorrow. They all stopped talking when they heard me enter. I felt Jasmine's eyes on me, but I refused to look back at her. I silently walked upstairs, avoiding eye contact with anyone. I went to the green room, and shut the door behind me. I took a pocketknife out of my bag and cut the package to the camera. Suddenly I heard a knock on the door, making me shove the packaged camera underneath the pillow. "Come in," I mumbled.

Michael peeked his head through the door. "Hey bro, can we talk?"

I nodded coldly, "Yeah, come on in."

He closed the door behind him and sat on the bed beside me. "Hey bro, I'm sorry about earlier. She was pretty shocked about seeing me, so you know I had to get some ass," he explained with a smirk.