Chapter 22

And with that, the first week of school after the holidays is already over and I'll continue to update every Friday.
Again, I'm sorry for putting chapters out really irregularly the past weeks.
Anyways stream V's new album Layover, as well as Key's new one, Good & Great.
Have fun with the chapter, and as always, stay safe.
Sovara

~~~

The weeks went by, Chaewon had the one or other small nightmare again, but not as bad as before.

It all seemed to settle down, but it was illusive - almost like the calm before a storm.

She kept the strange feeling to herself, hoping it would just go away (It didn't. Chaewon, just talk with Taemin or Jonghyun about it (Spoiler: she doesn't)) and stay like it was; she didn't really needed action in her life right now.

~~~

The day already started shitty.

She was late to school, she overslept.

Then Taemin told her, he couldn't go home with her today, because he had something to do, he didn't tell her what, it didn't really matter as well.

And somewhen in the afternoon it started raining and thundering.

Wonderful day, really.

Chaewon curled up in her blanket, just hoping Taemin didn't get into the thunderstorm. She just wished he would lay in her arms, wanted to feel his warmth and know he was safe and alright.

The evening however topped the whole day.

She got a call from Taemins mom, of course her strange feeling got stronger. She picked up. "Chaewon, is Taemin with you?", his mom asked without any greeting, sounding distressed and extremely worried.

Chaewon was immediately alarmed. "No, he said he had something to do.. I thought he would come to you after that..  he isn't with you??"

"No! I- I knew he had something to do, but he should be home already! P-please... what if something happened?", her voice sounded like she was on the verge of crying. Color drained from Chaewon's face. Shit.

"Mrs Lee, please calm down. I go now and look for him, and I will find him. I wouldn't know what to do if not...", Chaewon said, getting up, picking up her swords and rapidly running down the stairs.

"But the storm! You-" "Doesn't matter. Taemin comes first", Chaewon cut her off. "I'll call if I have news", she said and hung up, almost running into Jinki.

"What in every world are you doing?", he immediately asked. "Searching Taemin. He didn't come home. Mrs Lee called. Now excuse me"

She rushed out of the house, facing storm and rain.

~~~

She searched literally the whole city, every street even if it seemed way too dangerous, even the tiniest corner; yet she found nothing.

Chaewon's nerves reached its end as she ran through the storm, looking everywhere for Taemin.

Screaming would be as effective as crying.

She didn't do both, but was close to.

At some point, she had to admit the obvious:
Taemin had disappeared.

And because he didn't had any reason to do that out of his free will, Chaewon came to the conclusion he was kidnapped.

"Fuck!", she yelled into the storm.

~~~

She returned home, completely wet and feeling nothing. She was empty, something Jinki hadn't experienced in months.

It scared him.

"Chaewon...", he tried to get her attention once more. "Taemin is.." Her burning eyes made him shut up. "Don't tell me he is fine, Jinki. He's fucking kidnapped. After all that happened to him, to me, to us, he is not fine"

Jinki tore up. "I'm sorry, Chaewon... I-" "I know, Jinki" He hugged her, he couldn't help himself but to do so. She allowed herself to fall in the warm presence of his and don't be fine for once.

~~~

The days went by, not a single clue of Taemin.

Chaewon wasn't sleeping, eating or talking anymore. She spent days outside, still searching her love. Of course she didn't find anything.

"Chaewon" Jonghyuns voice drew her out of her empty gaze.

"I might have an idea where Taemin is", he said calmly. Chaewon's eyes filled with tears. "Please tell me" Her voice was small and broke, it was the first time she spoke since Taemin was gone. It hurt Jonghyun to hear, but he forced himself not to cry. Not now.

"You know how Taemin got attacked by these demons, and Soyeon?" "Yes..?" "I don't think this was a coincidence", Jonghyun looked worried, stern, exhausted.

Chaewon thought. Demons.. demons.. hell. Fuck. "Fuck", she quietly cursed. She stood up. "I'm going. Now" "But Chaewon-"
"Jonghyun. Trust me, I know. But I can't live without him. Wish me luck"

Jonghyun sighed in defeat as she got her swords and left the house.

"Please come back", he mumbled, but nobody heard it.

~~~

Taemins sight was blurry as he opened his eyes.

First, his body was completely numb, but as he gained more consciousness, the pain started to settle in.

Everything hurt. Literally everything.

Mostly his wrists and his back felt like burning; his wrists because the chains he was tied up with were too tight and cutting in his skin, and his back hurt because of the endless-seeming torture with a whip.

He felt his own blood running down his back and shivered at the feeling. Taemin tried to lift his head, but when he did, his sight got blurry again and his head started to ache from dizziness.

'Fuck, Chaewon.. please.. come and get me.. this is like hell'

His thoughts brought it perfectly to the point; he was in fact in hell.

He blinked again to get clear sight, and before he could realise what happened, he was embraced in a warm, familiar presence.

Chaewon.

She was here.

She really came.

Taemin immediately started to cry, as well as Chaewon did.

Chaewon released, to sign at Taemin. Taeminie.. I'm here.. I'm here. You're not getting hurt again, never. I will protect you. I'm sorry, I failed to protect you-

Taemin shook his head, then flinched, the pain in his back got worse. Chaewon instantly looked worried. She quickly got her sword and cut her own palm, dropping her blood into his wounds.

With golden light they healed within seconds. Then she easily got rid of Taemins chains. Chaewon- I- Just by now he realised how terrible Chaewon looked.

Her skin was pale, she had terrible eye bags and she was skinnier. Very much skinnier. And she looked incredibly tired. Chaewon, did you even sleep?, Taemin asked in shock, only to see her shaking her head. But Chaewon, you can't do this to yourself! Even if it is for me, you can't do this!

Suddenly she hugged him tight, shielding him from something he couldn't see.

Someone had entered.

"Finally, there she is. My broken angel" The familiar voice sent shivers over Chaewon's whole body.

She looked behind her, still holding Taemin tight.

"Seonghwa?!"