[EBONY] Lonely Night

Ebony Ravenway spent her days alone, and she preferred it that way. Humans were all the same, cruel and self-centered, they never made connections with people that wouldn't benefit them materially. So now, at her new school far from home where nobody knew about her relation to her rich parents, the only time people spoke to her was for group projects. When their grades hung in the balance. She would do her work silently and quickly, and be alone again as soon as she could be. People called her weird, she didn't care, she would rather be alone than surrounded by snakes. She wasn't here to make friends. She didn't need them! Ebony was more powerful than all of them combined. She could curse them in an instant. She was smarter, more virtuous, more pure. Sometimes she thought she couldn't possibly be a human like the rest of the school. She was superior. She was different.

And as she lay on her bed in her messy room and stared at the ceiling, wondering when she would have the motivation to get up and brush her teeth, she realized she was lonely.

How ridiculous, she thought to herself. Humans aren't worth getting close to. She had decided that over a year ago and had been better off since, hadn't she? But there was a pit in her empty stomach that nearly made her feel nauseous. She was sick of it. She was sick of every day feeling the same, keeping to herself, glaring at everyone, staying in corners and taking up as little space as she possibly could.

A tear rolled down her cheek and landed in her unkempt curls, making her hair wet. Great, she thought, she would have to deal with that now too. But acknowledging that she was crying, took her mind off of the reason why. So she let more tears fall. And eventually, her wet hair was her reason for getting up. She stepped off of her bed one leg at a time and approached her bedroom door, but as she settled her hand on the doorknob, she became aware of voices coming from the living room. She put her ear up against the door to hear what her roommates– she recognized their voices– were saying.

"I don't understand how she can stay in that room all day," Penelope, a girl who was much taller than Ebony and certainly stronger, a girl who intimidated her, was saying.

"Mhm. She's a total mystery to me," Elena agreed. Elena was an overbearing and foolish demigirl, of course she didn't understand Ebony. She retreated her hand from the doorknob. She didn't want to face her roommates. And she didn't care what they thought, she didn't, what did they know...

"I wish we could learn more about her. Do you think she doesn't feel safe with us?" Elena finished her thought.

"Oh, maybe?" Penelope said, her tone light. "But I don't want to overwhelm her... Let's do something nice for her."

Elena laughed. "Or maybe we can find a magic spell to make her our friend!"

"That would be so cool!"

Ebony's eyes sparkled, because they were watery and opened wide. She retreated from the door after all, but this time, she sat at a desk that was situated against one of her walls, cleared some of the mess off of it, and looked in her small standing mirror. She wiped her cheeks, and brushed her hair a little, and even used some makeup to cover her red under eyes so it didn't look like she had been crying. Then she went back and opened her door slightly, just a crack, so she could speak to her roommates. But apparently she had taken too long. Her roommates were nowhere to be seen or heard– they must have gone to their own rooms. Ebony emerged from her dark room and went down the hall to the bathroom, where she brushed her teeth and washed her face. Wiping the last remnants of concealer off her cheeks, she caught a sight of herself in the mirror and, after a second, gave a stiff practice smile.

Tomorrow, she would try talking to her roommates. 

Penelope belongs to @ minkdollclothes / @forgottenAdventure  :)