[SORRANA] 100% Peanut Butter and JEALOUS!

"Where did you get that?" Diana asked, gingerly holding Sorrel's hand and tapping the new addition there-- a golden ring, not real gold but of a shiny yellow color, with a round turquoise stone embedded in it. Sorrel's hand twitched, and a pink blush spread across her cheeks.

"Oh, that, it was a really sweet gift from Jules. He gave it to me when I went to his dorm today, he actually made it himself, he said it was inspired by me but it still matches the one that he has. It was so thoughtful I've got no idea how I'll repay him..."

Diana frowned and stared hard at the ring, trying to find any flaw to nitpick about it. But it was incredibly well done. She hated to admit that Jules was talented. And generous and thoughtful and Sorrel probably thought he was handsome, too. It was like he had appeared out of nowhere; Diana and Sorrel had been getting super close as friends, spending almost every free minute together, and alright, maybe Diana had felt a few butterflies in her stomach spending all that time with her best friend. Then all of a sudden Sorrel had met Jules and now she was spending her free time with him. Getting close to him. Diana really hoped that the butterflies thing wasn't happening between them too. But the more she thought about it, the more it seemed impossible that there would be no butterflies. Who wouldn't be charmed by Sorrel? And Jules seemed perfect by every metric. Diana felt insignificant comparing herself to him.

She couldn't hand make jewelry as a gift.

Sorrel took her hand back and shoved it into her jacket pocket. "Aaanyway," she nervously changed the subject, "how is your documentary on the history of coffee shops going?"

"I finished it last week."

"Oh! I can't believe I didn't know that! How did it turn out?"

I bet she knows exactly how Jules's projects are going, Diana thought bitterly. A horrible heavy feeling was building in her stomach the more she thought about it. She felt quite sick. It was nothing personal, but... She didn't really want to vomit. "Sorrel, can we catch up some other time? I think I need some time to myself. Right now."

"Oh." Sorrel blinked. "Of course, I'm sorry... Um, just let me know when you can chat again... Bye." She saw herself out, casting a concerned look at Diana just before she disappeared through the doorway.

How stupid can I get!? Diana thought furiously of herself, I finally had Sorrel to myself for a few minutes and I pushed her away, just because I was jealous of some guy...

She swallowed. Jealous. That was what she had been, wasn't it. How pathetic. How awful. How inconsiderate of how Sorrel felt. She just felt worse and worse by the minute.

[ . . . ]

"I'm worried that I offended Diana," Sorrel sat atop Jules's desk and chewed her nails nervously. "I wasn't up to date on her project, I know she told me she had finished it but I honestly just forgot, and then she kicked me out of her room..."

"Hey, you've had a lot of things on your mind, of course you wouldn't be able to keep track of everything," Jules said, glancing at her above the block of wood he was carving. "If she isn't willing to understand that..." He shrugged, leaving the sentence hanging on a high note. Sorrel pouted.

"I already told you, Diana is great. I really want to stay friends with her. Things have just been a little... Awkward. I guess." She sighed. "I haven't been able to dedicate much time to her. I think she's mad at me."

Jules's eyebrows knit. "Because I'm taking up your time?"

"No, no, it's not like, your fault," Sorrel was quick to assure him, then became somber, hanging her head. "I guess things with Diana were awkward before our whole situation began. I just... I get so nervous around her sometimes."