• two •

| Jailen |

Harry's house was smaller than the estate but just as extravagant. It was decorated differently though. It seemed more like... home. Warmer for sure. I was starting to sweat. But I wasn't sure if it was because of the temperature in the house or if I was just reacting to being around Harry again.

I stood in the middle of the living room, keeping my eyes on Hayden as the golden retriever playfully chased her around the room. Jezebel. I wanted to scoff. Out of all the names he could've chosen to name her, he chooses that one. Should I be offended? He saw a dog and immediately thought to name her after me. I tilted my head to the side and narrowed my eyes at her... I guess she is kinda cute... She's adorable actually.

I smiled at how gentle she was being with the toddler but my smile was quickly wiped off of my face when Harry walked back into the living room. He had tied his hair up into a bun, smiling as he came and stood next to me, his eyes focused on Hayden.

"How old is she?" He asked, his voice low.

"Four." was my curt response.

Harry hummed and folded his arms across his chest, "What's her name?"

I hesitated and took a step away to put a little space between us because the air was starting to become suffocating, "Hayden."

From the corner of my eye, I could see him smile, "She looks like a Hayden." There was a brief silence, then he spoke again, "She looks like you. Beautiful."

There was a small pang in my chest and I frowned, "Don't say that, Harry."

"You don't get to tell me what I can and can't say," He mumbled, "Not when you left like the selfish little b-"

"Selfish?!" I exclaimed, quickly realizing I was too loud when my daughter looked over at me. I cleared my throat and smiled at her before turning to face the man beside me, "You have a lot of fucking nerve speaking on being selfish, Harry. And so what if I was!? For once, I put myself first and left for my own sake!"

"You left with my daughter in your goddamn belly, Jailen!" He yelled, turning to face me.

I stared at him, a little taken aback by how upset he seemed, "Do not act like you give a fuck-"

"You didn't give me a chance to give a fuck, baby!" Harry furrowed his eyebrows, frustration evident on his features, "I mean, seriously, do you really think I wouldn't have cared if I knew?"

"No," I replied quickly, not even sure if I believed that, "I was a contract to you, Harry. A payment, so no. I didn't think you would've cared that I was carrying your child. It was easier this way."

"Easier for who?" He asked, taking a step closer and grabbing my arm before I had the chance to move away. I turned my head away from him and closed my eyes. I felt him lean in, "Easier for who, sweetie? Me? Because it wasn't."

"Harry-"

"Four fucking years. I had to be without you for four fucking years," He said through gritted teeth and I opened my eyes to look for Hayden. She was still occupied, her small hand rubbing the golden retriever's head.

Harry's hand tightened on my arm and I turned my head to look at him, "You looked so pretty when you were pregnant, sweetie. It was so hard to stay away from you."

What?

The confusion was evident on my face and he smirked, "What are you talking about?"

"C'mon, Jai, you know me. It didn't take long to find you at all, but you seemed so content with the new life you worked so hard to get, I wanted you to enjoy it. So, I gave you time, thinking maybe you'll let me meet my child when they were born... but, you didn't."

I could feel my heart sinking, tears welling in the back of my eyes as I realized that everything I did to try and separate myself from Harry was pointless. Every city I moved to, every document I signed to have my name changed, every night I spent crying - it was all in vain.

"I admit, finding a home so close to your brother was a little hard. I spent a ridiculous amount of money for this shit," He shook his head and glanced over at Hayden, finally letting go of my arm as I took a step away from him, "It was cute, seeing you try so hard and 'succeed' at erasing me."

"I'm leaving," I spat, moving to walk away only for him to grab me again. I attempted to snatch my arm away from him but he just shook his head and hummed, "Let me go, Harry!"

"Where you going, sweetie? Hm?"

"Away from you! Again! You're fucking ridiculous."

"Mm-mm," he huffed and before I could say anything else, he pulled me out of the room.

I looked back at Hayden who was focused on the cartoons Harry had put on for her when we first got in, the golden retriever next to her with its head on her lap - both completely oblivious to what was happening behind them.

My back hit the wall and I frowned, reaching out and pushing at Harry's chest. He was unphased, using one hand to grab both of mine and hold them between us as he stared down at me.

"Fuck you, Harry!" I tried pulling my hands out of his grasp, blinking away the tears that threatened to spill.

He tilted his head and sighed, "You're being dramatic."

I breathed out a chuckle of disbelief, "Dramatic? Harry, you ruined my fucking life! I don't think I'm being dramatic enough."

Harry rolled his eyes, a cheeky grin spreading across his face, "I don't think ruin is the right word-"

"I'm not laughing. Why are you laughing? What's funny about this, Harry? Let go of me," I was annoyed. I was angry and he thought this was a joke. A game. He never did take me seriously.

"Smile, baby," he teased, finally letting go of my hands but not backing away as I dropped my hands to my sides. He raised his hand, his thumb brushing over my bottom lip, "I don't like when you pout."

I reached up, pushing him away from me as he breathed out a chuckle, "What's your point? What are you hoping to gain from this? I don't want anything to do with you, and neither does she!" I snapped, nodding my head toward the living room.

"I want my family, sweetie. I missed you," he reached out, his hand falling to rest on my waist and I held my breath.

I should've pushed him away again. I should've told him to keep his hands off of me.

Instead, I glared up at him, my heart skipping a beat when his thumb rubbed circles over the thin fabric of my dress.

"I'll give you some time. And then we'll make this work, yeah?"

I shook my head but didn't respond as the sound of little footsteps filled the air. Harry stepped away from me just as Hayden walked out into the hallway. I looked down at her immediately, smiling as wide as I could as Harry's eyes lingered on me, "What is it, bug?"

"Are we still going to see Uncle Jason? I really wanna hold the chickens." She said, her green eyes wide as she shifted on her feet impatiently.

"Of course. I was done talking anyway." I looked over at Harry who just gave me a tight-lipped smile before he walked towards the front door.

He opened the door and cleared his throat, "C'mon, I'll drive you."

"It's not that far a walk. We'll be fine." I tried to dismiss him but he was already grabbing his car keys off of the hook.

He grabbed his sunglasses off of the small area table and slid them over his eyes, a subtle smirk on his face before he licked his lips, "I wasn't asking, sweetie."