• nineteen •

trigger warning!
this chapter talks a little bit about suicide and alcoholism/using alcohol to cope.
please proceed with caution!

| Jailen |

I slept on the couch.

It was easier than pretending that I was fine with sharing a bed with Harry. Of course I could've slept in Zayn's room that was right next door, but he ended up going to the bar when we got back to the hotel.

I tossed and turned the whole night. I fell asleep for about twenty minutes before I decided to cave and go into the room, only for me to find that Harry was sleeping in the chair next to the couch.

I gave in too easily, waking him up and asking him to come sleep on the couch with me, to which he practically jumped out of his seat before I could finish my sentence.

When I woke up, the sun was setting and it was time to go back home.

Thankfully.

I was happy to finally get a break from Harry but I was even more happy to see my daughter.

I was shaking with excitement as Harry drove to Jason's place and even he couldn't hide his excitement. I could see the way his smile widened the closer we got, and as we pulled into the driveway, he barely put the car in park before he was swinging his door open and rushing up the walkway.

I was quick to follow, slamming the door behind me and running past him.

"Jailen!" He yelled after me, chuckling as I shook my head, the sound of his running footsteps behind me.

"I have to get to my baby!" I screeched, giddy as I skipped up the stairs.

Jason always kept his door unlocked when he knew I was coming over so I pushed through the door, immediately being welcomed with the smell of apple cinnamon air freshener and fall decor. I huffed. It was hardly October.

"I'm backkk!" I called out. The house was warm, which usually meant Nick was baking. I made my way to the kitchen, nearly tripping over my feet from how fast I ran through his house.

Sure enough, they were in the kitchen. I grinned, my cheeks hurting as I ran to my brother and took my daughter from his arms.

"Oh, I missed you so, so much, my baby!" I hugged her tightly, squeezing my eyes shut and swaying from side to side, "Did you miss me, bug?"

Hayden nodded, a giggle escaping her as I playfully squeezed her tighter and kissed her cheek.

"Jailen..." Jason cleared his throat and his tone was enough to make me pause everything I was doing.

I opened my eyes, quickly taking note of the serious expression on his face. A mix between anger, nervousness and disgust prominent on his features. Nick was quiet beside him, his eyes focused on the pastry dough on the counter but the aggression in his movements made me worry.

"What?" I chuckled awkwardly.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me?" Harry's voice entered the kitchen and as I turned to face him, my eyes locked on someone who I never thought I'd see again.

Rage.

My hold on Hayden tightened protectively, my hands trembling as a frown etched its way onto my face as if it was going to stay there permanently. I looked at my brother, "Why the fuck is she here?! Around my baby?! Jason-"

"She just showed up," he said, his tone angry but lower than mine, "I don't know how she figured out where I lived. I haven't told her shit."

"Me either," Nick chimed in, keeping his eyes on the dough.