• eight •

filler chapters for the win

||

Jailen

SPOTTED!!!
After nearly five years of not being seen together, playboy billionaire, Harry Styles, and the mystery woman were spotted out and about at the local zoo in San Diego.
And they weren't alone!
Seems as though the two were closer than they let on!
Styles, 38, was seen carrying a toddler!
Now, we aren't the ones to assume, but the resemblance is uncanny.
Talk about adorable!
The three were at the zoo until sunset, locals say. Very polite family, which is a shocker considering Styles' background.
Still, we know absolutely nothing about the beauty he hangs with.
Well, nothing other than the fact that she loves to have fun in public if you know what we mean!
Nonetheless, this couple is absolutely amazing!
Maybe this time around, we can finally get an update about the wedding.

I sighed as I finished reading the article that was attached to the text that Lucas had sent. I closed out the browser and began typing a text. I wanted to apologize, but what was I apologizing for?

Maybe for hanging out with Harry and not telling Lucas? I wasn't hanging out with Harry. We took our daughter to the zoo...

In one of the pictures, Harry was hugging me and I was smiling. But it was taken out of context. Seconds before that, Harry and I had just finished bickering and of course, Harry being Harry, decided to escalate the situation by trying to lift me into the air in hopes that it'd make me stop talking. And in the process, my knee hit him between his legs, so I laughed. Which he obviously didn't like and squeezed me until I couldn't breathe.

It was nothing more. But, it looked...

I groaned and tossed my phone down on the counter. I didn't know what to say to him and since the sound of Hayden running toward the kitchen echoed around the apartment, I decided to text him later.

With her suitcase dragging behind her and stuffed with nothing more than her Barbie dolls and hot wheels, she stopped at the entryway and glanced up at me, "I'm ready to go!" She was out of breath and obviously excited.

I chuckled and tilted my head, "That's all you're taking to your dad's house? You need clothes, too."

"I have clothes!" She said and turned to open her suitcase.

Harry and I came to an agreement that Hayden would spend the night at his house once a week until she was comfortable with me not being with her, and then we'd move to weekends and maybe even weeks. I wasn't too sure about that one, but Harry was persistent and since I didn't feel like going back and forth with him, I just agreed.

I leaned against the counter and watched, amused by how many dolls she managed to fit in her suitcase, especially considering the damn thing was hardly big enough to fit more than four outfits. And when she was finished taking all of the dolls and toy cars out, once they were all spewed out on the kitchen floor, the only "clothes" she had packed was a shirt from when she was two.

"Hayden," I deadpanned and folded my arms across my chest, trying my best not to laugh, "Where are you wearing that?"

She put her hands on her hips and looked at me like I was the dumbest person in the world, "My dad's house!"

I cackled but my laughter was quickly cut short when she narrowed her eyes at me. I walked closer to her and kneeled down, "Listen bug. You did a great job with packing. I'm super proud of you but..." I reached up and brushed her hair out of her face, "You need pajamas and your toothbrush and maybe something else to wear tomorrow."

When she pouted, I hummed, "Okay, how about you take two Barbies and two cars? That way, you and your dad can play together, yeah?" And just like that, she was excited again. I smiled and stood to my feet again, "Go on and pick which ones you're gonna take."

I was nervous. I didn't sleep at all last night and I was pissed at myself. Especially since I wouldn't be sleeping in my own bed tonight, I should've tried harder. I looked at my duffle bag that was by the front door and hesitated... I could cancel. I could say Hayden came down with a stomach bug and that she was throwing up everywhere. I could-

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of knocking on the front door and I frowned. Too late. I took my time walking to the door, my hands shaking as I unlocked the door. There was a brief moment when I came face to face with the person on the other side where I was convinced that I was dreaming. Maybe I did fall asleep last night and was still asleep. But when he spoke, my entire body was filled with warmth.

"Good afternoon, Jailen," Jonah said, "Mr. Styles has sent me to escort you to his-"

Before I could speak, breathe, or think, I practically tackled Jonah to the floor and I wrapped my arms around him.

He stumbled and it took him a minute to register what was happening, but when he did, he hugged me back, awkwardly patting my back before he pulled away. He fixed his suit, a faint smile on his face, "I've been sent to escort you and the child to Mr. Styles' property."

The child. I chuckled and nodded, "I didn't know you were gonna be here so early. I still have to pack her bag. It won't be long, I swear-"

"Take your time, Jailen. I'll be right outside when you're ready." And with that, he walked away, not giving me a chance to respond.

I shut the door reluctantly and rushed to finish packing Hayden's bag. Jonah didn't seem like he minded the wait but I just wanted to be respectful of his time, like I always was before. It used to annoy Harry.

I was done in record time, telling myself that I could always come back if I forgot something and I found myself wishing Harry could've seen Hayden's excitement when we approached the black SUV parked outside.

"We're getting in that?" She asked as Jonah rushed to take the bags from my hands.

"Yes, ma'am. It's your dad's car," I said, memories of us outside the grocery store flashing in my head, the first time I was ever in Harry's car and thinking it was just a coincidence that he showed up at the same grocery store as me when he lived across town. Could I have been any more naive? I cleared my throat and looked at Jonah, "I have to grab her car seat from my car."

He waved me off, "No need, Mr. Styles has provided and installed one already."

I hummed and lifted Hayden into my arms as Jonah opened the door, "Of course, he did."

I strapped Hayden into her car seat and then buckled myself in. I watched as Jonah walked around the car and got into the driver's seat, my nerves settling in my stomach as the car purred to a start.

Jonah looked at me through the rearview mirror, "Ready?"

No.

I nodded, folding my hands in my lap as I looked over at the excited child, "Ready."

||

I always make these little chapters like a progression phase, you know? like it's literally just so we can get into what's happening next. anywayysss, thank you guys for reading so far! love you lots.