• five •

| Jailen |

One more deep breath and I collapsed face-first onto the yoga mat. I groaned to myself, feeling my classmate tap my back as she mumbled something about seeing me next week.

I wasn't even sure if I wanted to come next week.

There was a few seconds of scattered talking throughout the class where I remained with my face to the filthy mat until the room was empty, then I rolled over on my back and puffed out another deep breath.

Despite the pain I was feeling in my lower back and thighs, I felt relieved.

I didn't sleep a lick last night, even with me being exhausted from the day. Spending the day with Harry and Hayden was like spending the day with two toddlers. I think I spent more time running after Harry than I did keeping up with Hayden. And not because I wasn't paying attention to Hayden, no, she was by my side the entire time. It's just that Harry seemed to be very excited about the zoo and often ran -literally ran- away to go and look at one of the animals in hopes that Hayden would follow. But I had her hand and running in zoos was just unsafe. Too many people, too many safety hazards.

On top of Harry's shady remarks that constantly made their way into every sentence he spoke. It was tiring and draining.

Harry was tiring and draining.

So, I called my babysitter, promising to pay her double if she came to watch Hayden this morning because it was last minute.

I got up from the floor and packed all my things into my bag. It was 70 degrees outside today so I decided against putting on a jacket. I fixed my ponytail as I walked out of the yoga studio, a smile immediately spreading across my face as I locked eyes with Lucas.

He grinned, stuffing his car keys in his pocket as he met me halfway on the sidewalk. His arm circled my waist and I leaned into him, his lips pressing to mine with eagerness as he rocked us from side to side.

"Hey, baby," Lucas said when we briefly separated from each other, "Did you miss me?"

"Did you miss me?" I asked, already knowing the answer by how tightly he was holding me.

He kissed me once, twice and I grinned, a blush forming on my cheeks when he pulled away and opened the passenger door for me, "I always miss you."

"I know. I missed you too." I got in the car and grabbed my phone from the side of my duffel bag as Lucas slid into the driver's seat.

I turned my phone back on and waited patiently. Yoga was my excuse once a week to separate myself from the world, so I took advantage of it by cutting my phone off for the two hours I was away. I always made sure to leave the number and address of the studio on the counter in case there was an emergency and I needed to be contacted. I was never worried, I trusted this babysitter with Hayden more than anyone.

So, I was a little confused when her message popped up on my screen the moment my phone regained signal.

Briana
thank you for sending a replacement babysitter! i really needed to get to class! ❤️ text me if you need me.

I frowned, my heart dropping as I shook my head. Lucas noticed, his eyes flicking back and forth between me and the road.

"What's the matter?" He asked and I could already feel the panic rising.

"I need to get home. Immediately Lucas! Speed up!" I yelled, my eyes watering as the worst-case scenario flooded my brain.

We made it to my apartment building in record time and before Lucas even had the chance to park the car properly, I was opening the door, grabbing my bag, and sprinting into the building.

He was quick to follow and I didn't even bother stopping at the elevators. I ran straight to the stairs, taking them two at a time and ignoring Lucas as he called after me. By the time I reached my floor, my thighs, chest, and back were hurting and I was dizzy, but still, I didn't slow down as I hurried to my apartment and pushed the door open.

"Hayden!" I yelled out, trying to catch my breath. "Hayden, where are you?!"

I turned the corner into the living room, Lucas right behind me, and I nearly fell to my knees at the sight in front of me.

Harry was on the couch, one leg over the arm of the couch as he lazily and effortlessly completed the rubix cube I'd gotten Hayden last week.

Hayden noticed me, her eyes widening before she ran towards me.

"Hi, bug!" I mumbled, lifting her into my arms and hugging her tightly as I narrowed my eyes at her father, "What the fuck, Harry?" But his attention was focused behind me. On Lucas. I brushed my hand over Hayden's hair and hummed, "Are you alright? You're okay?"

Harry scoffed, catching my attention as he rolled his eyes, "You think I'd hurt my own daughter, Jai?"

"No!" I snapped back.

"Daughter?" Lucas asked, looking between Harry and me.

I sighed, "Yeah. That's Hayden's father." I mumbled

Harry grinned and nodded before he looked Lucas up and down, his face twisting in disgust, "And you are?"

"Lucas," He said, straightening his back and tutting his chin.

Harry hummed and just as he opened his mouth to respond, another person came out of the kitchen.

"Alright, little shit," Zayn spoke, one of his hands holding Hayden's pink plate as he walked into the living room, "I put the ranch on the side like you asked."

"Chicken nuggets!" Hayden screeched, writhing around in my arms so that I had no choice but to put her down.

I stared at Zayn, his eyes flicking to me. He smiled and nodded at me, "Hey, pretty girl. Oh- woah!" He lifted the plate out of Hayden's reach just as she approached him. He walked away from her and she followed, well chased him around the living room as he kept the plate above his head, teasing her about not being able to reach it.

I was stuck, my mind slowly slipping into overdrive as I tried to process that Zayn was actually in my apartment right now. But, my thoughts were quickly interrupted when Harry tossed the rubix cube onto the table and stood up.

He remained silent as he walked up to me, even though his eyes were solely focused on Lucas. And when I realized he had no intentions of stopping, I raised my hand between us, my fingers pressing against his chest as he stopped, towering over the both of us.

Harry looked down at my hand and chuckled, running his tongue along the inside of his cheek before he nodded his head towards the front door and glanced at Lucas, "Leave."

"Harry-"

"I don't want him around my daughter," he shrugged, reaching up and grabbing ahold of my wrist. I held my breath at his touch. He raised an eyebrow, "Either he leaves on his own or I can make him leave."

"You're fucking ridiculous-" I started but Lucas sighed. And before I could say anything else, I felt Lucas' lips against my cheek.

"I'll text you in a bit," He mumbled.

I kept my eyes on Harry as Lucas walked away. I could feel the anger rising in my belly as the seconds passed. Time ticking, Harry's smug look on his face as he listened to Lucas' footsteps recede and the inevitable bomb that exploded the moment the front door slammed.