• twenty-six •

a little sad chapter maybe? sure.

||

| Jailen |

I couldn't bring myself to take my eyes off the window.

After thirteen hours, my dad was out of surgery and he survived. Barely, but he did. I stared at the bloodied bandages on his face and if it wasn't for mine and Jason's name tattooed on his arm, I wouldn't even be able to tell that he was my dad.

It was close to 10 pm and I hadn't moved from this spot since we got here this morning. Not like I had anywhere else to go. We were two hours away from home and it'd be impossible to make it back in time just in case something happened.

The doctors made sure to let me know just how badly the wounds were and most of them couldn't be treated properly because of how deep they were. At least not without another surgery and it was too soon even to attempt one.

Nick and Jason had gone to talk to the officers that were on the scene before the ambulance arrived and Harry was with them, helping in ways the officers couldn't.

He was doing his own research, I think. I heard him demanding that every street camera's footage be searched, but then he walked away and I haven't seen much of him since. But he was still here. Every now and then I would hear him yell at the nurses when they'd tell him something he didn't like or couldn't give him any answers.

So, it was just me and Hayden right now, but she was asleep again, so it was just me.

Just me and my thoughts and fears. And my dad. He was here but he wasn't here. I felt like shit.

Harry's jacket was wrapped around Hayden as she lay against my chest. She was still in her pajamas from last night. We both were, considering that I didn't think about finding clothes before we rushed from my apartment, which wasn't a good idea because it was raining. Thunderstorming, actually, and I wanted to roll my eyes at the cliche of it raining when things go bad but I didn't want to risk any karma for questioning higher power.

The sound of the heart monitor was loud. Even with the door being closed, I could hear it clearly as if I was sitting right beside it.

I was crying again but I didn't care to wipe the tears off of my face. It had been four years since I'd seen him last and I hated that I had to see him under horrible circumstances.

I've always thought that if I were to get in contact with anyone from my family, other than Jason, it would be him. I wanted to introduce him to Hayden, he's going to love her, I just know.

From my peripheral vision, I could see Harry turn the corner. Reluctantly, I turned my head from the window and looked at him.

He was staring down at his phone, face twisted in concentration and anger but the moment he looked up and caught my eyes, he grinned. Then he looked at Hayden and his smile widened.

Harry slid his phone into his pocket and sat beside me. He leaned over and kissed Hayden's cheek, "Want me to get her?" He asked me but I shook my head.

She was my only comfort, and I was almost positive that I'd crumble the moment she was out of my arms.

So, I held her tighter just in case.

Harry nodded understandingly, "How are you feeling, sweetie?"

I blinked slowly as I tried to pinpoint one emotion I could explain. Between what happened last night and this, I was on the verge of a mental breakdown. Or a panic attack. Maybe that's what it was. That would be more likely than completely losing my shit. I couldn't afford that right now. Not when I had a daughter to take care of.