• nine •

hiii! we're doing a triple update day! 🥳
the chapters are gonna be a little spaced apart bc of work and stuff but within the next 24 hours, chapters 9-11 will be up!
so with that being said, enjoy!

Jailen

I should've expected that Harry's house was huge but this was ridiculous.

The last house was big but this was about five times bigger. I could see the house clearly from the road but it took us ten minutes to get to the gate.

Jonah typed in a code and I felt my hands become shakier as Hayden's excited chatter filled the car. The pavement beneath the car was smooth and I counted the seconds as we approached the house. Harry was standing outside, cigarette between his lips as he watched the car pull to a stop in front of him.

His hair was tied into a bun, a style that he had seemed to become fond of lately, but because of how windy it was, there were a few stray pieces that were blowing about. He took one more puff before he tossed the cigarette to the ground and stepped on it. I unbuckled Hayden from her seat just as my door opened.

Harry's cologne filled the car and I couldn't help but look over my shoulder as I grabbed Hayden. He grinned, "Hey, munchkin!" He grabbed her from my arms and stepped back so that I could exit the car, "I missed ya, what have you done this week?"

I listened as Hayden's voice became distant the further they walked away and there was a pang in my stomach. He didn't even acknowledge me... Not that I was expecting him to, I just... It doesn't matter. I'm here for Hayden. Not him. He doesn't have to acknowledge me.

I walked to the back of the car to help Jonah with the bags but the moment I reached my hand out, he swatted me away. I put my hands on my hips, "Don't do that."

"I have it, Jailen. This is my job, you know that." Jonah said, exasperated by my attempt to even help, "Go inside, ma'am."

"But-"

"Go." He said, sternly, not leaving any room for debate as he picked up both bags and walked away without giving me a second glance.

I stood there for a few seconds, trying to process what just happened before I shook my head and made my way inside, per Jonah's orders. The walls were high, immediately making me feel small as I walked through the foyer. I turned left, approaching the living room and just as I entered, my phone rang.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and answered without looking at my screen, "Hello?"

"Did you not get my message?" Lucas' voice snapped from the other end.

I frowned, a bit taken aback by his tone. His message? The article... I cleared my throat, "I'm sorry. I was getting Hayden ready. She's staying with Harry for the night and-"

"By herself?" He asked but I could tell from the tone of his voice that he knew the answer to that already. I hesitated as I walked around Harry's living room. Lucas spoke again, "Jailen!"

"No, of course not, Lucas," I sighed.

Lucas scoffed, "You couldn't text me back because you're with him? Is that what's going on?"

I pulled my phone away from my ear, confused as my frown deepened, "What? No, I just told you-"

Lucas huffed, "Did you see the damn article, Jailen? Everyone thinks you two are still fucking! Everyone! Do you know how many people have texted me today about you? It's fucking embarrassing." He yelled and I closed my eyes, dropping my phone away from my face as he continued to yell, "You could've fucking told me."

"It's not what it looks like."

"It looks like you're cheating on me, Jai," He mumbled and I swallowed harshly, unable to find my voice as a thick silence fell between us. I should've said something, and tried to defend myself but every time I opened my mouth, nothing came out. Lucas cleared his throat, "I'll talk to you later." And hung up as soon as he finished speaking.

I groaned, tossing my phone on the couch and rubbing my hands down over my face, frustration settling in my stomach when the reason for Lucas' anger walked into the living room. I looked at him and folded my arms across my chest.

He whistled sarcastically and rolled his lips into his mouth to keep from smiling as he plopped down on the couch and grabbed my phone, "Trouble in paradise?"

He cackled as I narrowed my eyes at him, "You're weird. Were you listening to me?"

"Not on purpose," Harry shrugged as he helped Hayden up on the couch, "He was just yelling so loud, I thought he was on speaker. Tell me, sweetie, was that little argument about the article?"

I paused and titled my head, a disturbing thought popping in my head as I stared at Harry, "What did you do?"

He shook his head and raised his hands in surrender, "I didn't do shit."

My heart was starting to race as anger began to settle beneath my skin, "Harry-"

"I didn't do anything, baby, really. I just saw the shit not too long ago. It definitely looks bad. I know if I was in a relationship with someone and I saw that they were out and about with their... ex? Am I your ex? We never really discussed that-"

"I swear if you're fucking lying..." I trailed off, not truly believing him as he arrogantly smiled at me.

"Relax," He rolled his eyes before turning to Hayden, "Tell mommy to relax."

"Relax!" Hayden repeated after Harry and I snapped.

"That's enough! We're leaving!" I gritted out, feeling my eyes burn as I became overwhelmed, "Let's go, bug. I knew this was a mistake. She's not ready for this."

"She's not ready? Or are you not ready?" Harry asked as Hayden climbed off of the couch, distracted by Jezebel as tension rose between her father and me.

Frustrated tears welled in my eyes and I turned away from him. I didn't even know what I was crying for. I had no reason to cry and even though I knew that, I couldn't do anything when a tear slid down my cheek. There was movement behind me before Harry touched my shoulder. I shrugged him off, trying to move away from him but he just grabbed my arm.

I tugged my arm, "Harry, seriously. Not right now."

"Hey," He started, his hold on me gentle but firm as I continued to try and get him to release me,, "Listen, alright, listen, sweetie. I don't know what the hell is going on with you but you're gonna take a break, yeah?"

I looked at him, confused as I shook my head, "What? No-"

"Mhm," Harry nodded his head, eyes softening when he noticed the wetness on my cheeks, "Hayden and I are gonna go fuck with Zayn for a bit."

"No," I shook my head again but he ignored me.

"And you're gonna stay here and get yourself together," He reached up and thumbed away my tears. I found myself wanting to lean into his touch but he pulled away just as quickly and let go of my arm.

I couldn't say anything as he backed away and grabbed his car keys off of the coffee table, "We'll be back in a few hours." He lifted Hayden into his arms and tucked her hair behind her ear, "Say bye mommy!"

"Bye, mommy!" Hayden waved at me and my eyes watered again.

"See you later, baby," I whispered as Harry gave me one last lingering look before he walked away. I stood still as Jezebel came to sit at my feet and just when the front door slammed shut, I sighed, a single tear falling from my lashes as I blinked.