• six •

short chapter... some dadrry stuff... the usual.

||

| Jailen |

Seconds passed. Maybe even minutes before I snatched away from Harry.

He chuckled and stepped back, nodding his head toward the direction Lucas had just walked in, "That's who you're fucking?"

I didn't respond as I glared at him, anger settling beneath my skin as he lessened the situation to nothing more than a joke. He cackled and titled his head, "Him?"

"That's none of your business," I snapped.

"He didn't even try to defend you, Jai. I mean, come on." I rolled my eyes and walked away. Harry followed, of course, his voice echoing around my apartment, "He's a bitch."

"You don't know him." I defended Lucas, despite the nagging feeling in the back of my head that wasn't pleased by him just leaving as soon as Harry told him to. But to be fair, since I met Lucas, he was never one for confrontation, so I couldn't hold that against him too much...

Harry scoffed as we entered the kitchen, "I don't have to know him to know he's a pussy. He couldn't defend you, how is he supposed to defend my daughter?"

I frowned and opened the refrigerator, "What?"

Harry leaned against the counter, "If anyone is going to be around my daughter, they need to know how to protect her, defend her. If he can't defend you, how can you trust him to protect Hayden?"

"I'm not expecting him to protect her," I mumbled, quickly realizing how stupid I sounded but it was too late.

"Then you don't need to be with him," Harry spat just as quickly.

I inhaled deeply and grabbed a water bottle off the shelf before I slammed the door shut and turned to face him, "Why are you here, Harry?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Did you think I was joking about wanting my family, sweetie?"

"Not this shit again," I mumbled, taking a seat on one of the stools and taking my hair out of the ponytail.

"Yes, again, Jailen!" He raised his voice and I rolled my eyes, "Why won't you let me?"

"Harry-"

"Answer the goddamn question, Jailen! No more excuses, no more bullshitting, answer the question!"

"Because I want nothing to do with you!" I yelled, watching as his eyes narrowed at me, "Nothing, Harry! I didn't want Hayden to have shit to do with you, but for some fucking reason, she likes you."

"Of course she's gonna like me. I'm her fucking father," He pointed out.

"Her father who she hasn't known in her four years of living."

"And who's fault is that?" He countered.

"Yours, if you really want to get technical," I replied quickly and he hummed. There was a brief silence before I cleared my throat, "If you want to be there for Hayden, fine. But, that's it. You don't get me anymore, you don't get to have access to me or my life, Harry! Whatever we had ended four years ago."

He winced and if I had blinked, I probably would've missed it. He cleared his throat and shifted on his feet, his face holding an emotion I couldn't decipher, "If that's what you want-"

"It is," I said and looked away from him because his gaze was becoming a bit too intense. There was a feeling in my stomach and my frown deepened. I was painfully aware of Harry's gaze on me but for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to look at him again.

"Fine," He grunted out and cleared his throat, "I'll do that for you. I'll do it for Hayden."

I didn't get the chance to respond because Zayn walked in, Hayden following close behind. She walked right up to Harry and he lifted her into his arms without hesitation. Zayn sat the plate of half-eaten chicken nuggets on the counter and walked up behind me, his arm wrapping around my neck and gently pulling me back against his chest.

"I had no idea you could make such an evil spawn," he joked and I chuckled, the scent of his cologne making me dizzy, "Maybe she takes after Harry with that part."

"Bullshit," Harry scoffed, then he looked at Hayden, "Are you evil, munchkin?"

I reached up and grabbed Zayn's arm, which had been completely covered in tattoos now, and I turned my head to look at him, "What did you do to her?"

"Me!?" He scoffed, once, twice, and then pointed at the toddler who just giggled, "She threw a goddamn hot wheels car at me!"

"You took three chicken nuggets!" She defended her actions and Harry chuckled.

"Three?" I asked, pulling away from Zayn as he raised his hands in surrender.

"She wasn't eating them!" He tried to explain but Harry tsk'd.

"You should know not to fuck with the chicken nuggets, Z," Harry shook his head as Hayden leaned her head onto his shoulder, but her peacefulness was short-lived as Zayn pulled away from me.

"Matter of fact," He grabbed the last chicken nugget off of the plate and popped it into his mouth without hesitation. Hayden gasped and I slapped his arm as he dramatically dusted his hands off, "Now what?"

She narrowed her eyes at Zayn and moved so that she could grab something from behind Harry's back. I barely had time to register what was happening before a spatula was thrown in our direction. It was perfectly aimed at Zayn but still, I moved to the side just it connected with his shoulder.

Harry cackled and I stifled a laugh as I tried my best to remain serious, "Hayden, we don't throw things!"

But Zayn took it a step further and threw it back, this time, hitting Harry in the jaw.

"See what you did?" He asked Hayden, "Your dad has to suffer for your mistakes!"

Harry shut his eyes and inhaled deeply, "Putain d'idiot, that could've hit her!"

"But it didn't," Zayn shrugged and I reached out to slap his arm again, harder this time. He looked at me, "Quit fucking hitting me!"

"Or what?" I challenged playfully, warmth filling my chest as I slowly realized how much I missed them- Zayn. I cleared my throat, "And quit cursing around her!"

"Harry did it!" He scoffed but I could see the way he tried to hide his smirk because he knew he was being unnecessarily childish.

Harry sighed and put Hayden on the ground, "We should beat his ass, yeah?"

"See!" Zayn pointed out

"Harry, seriously?"

But, I was ignored as Hayden ran towards Zayn and immediately began hitting his legs. He was unphased as he picked her up and tossed her over his shoulder. She screeched and laughed as he spun around and ran out of the room.

"Dad, help me!" She screamed through giggles and Harry smiled, tying his hair into a makeshift bun before walking towards the direction Zayn ran in.

I watched, my eyes focused on the way his muscles flexed underneath his thin shirt and my lower stomach clenched. I frowned and looked away just as he looked over his shoulder at me.

There was a few seconds of silence, his eyes lingering on me before Zayn's screams of terror rang throughout the apartment.

"Get your fucking daughter!" I heard him yell and Harry chuckled before he walked out of the kitchen.

"Don't break anything!" I said as I moved to grab the plate off of the counter.

"We won't, mommy!" Harry yelled back and I couldn't help myself as I smiled, shaking my head as I started the dishes in the sink.

||

a little boring, little cute but this is my promise that shit will hit the fan soon... like SOON.