- 15 -

ELIZA

The snow had lasted all night, and the prediction I had made became reality. 

We were having a white Christmas.

And even though it was something I would normally be ecstatic about, there was a gaping hole in my heart where my happiness should have been. I was sure we all shared the same feelings about today. Our first holiday without dad. We didn't really celebrate Halloween, maybe the odd trick or treating here and there, but Christmas? Christmas was special.

I had fallen asleep in mums bed, and when I had woken up, I found myself covered in her blankets, and the space next to me empty. She's probably awake and starting to prepare Christmas dinner.

I grab everyones presents from my room before running out and barrelling down the stairs. I greeted mum in the kitchen, handing her my gift. I watch closely with anticipation as she unwraps. It feels strange seeing her in the house, and preparing a meal that would have been done together with dad. I keep the smile planted on my face.

"Oh sweetie! This is so beautiful! Wasn't it expensive?" She asks, scanning the silver necklace I had brought her, she holds the chain in front of her, admiring the small blue heart that hung at the centre.

I lean against the counter, "I have a job now mum, I can buy stuff like this."

"Where's mine then, Izzy?" Ezra strides into the room.

I fold my hands over my chest, "I'm only giving it to you if you got me something." 

He feigns shock before replying, "And who said I didn't? Here, catch!" 

He chucks a small ball of wrapping paper towards me, almost flying past my head as I reach up to grab it.

In my hand lands a poorly wrapped present - I can't even say it's wrapped, it looks like our neighbours dog chewed on the paper before it got here. I open it cautiously, not really sure what to make from the cube shape.

My eyes widen, "No way! You got me something from Pandora?!" 

I open the box in haste, expecting a necklace, bracelet, or even a ring. My excitement soon turns into disappointment when I see lying a singular piece of card in its place. Scruffy writing atop in bright pink.

"I owe you?" I say aloud, confused.

"Yeah," Ezra replies, his voice muffled from the donut in his mouth, "It's an I owe you card, redeemable any time of the year, but it expires next Christmas. You can ask me to do anything basically."

I drag my eyes up slowly in disbelief, my mouth agape.

"What?" Ezra asks, laughing, "It's a cool gift to be honest, having me at your service, some people would die for that opportunity."

"Can I use this now?" I mutter.

"Sure," He takes another bite, "Go ahead."

"Walk to the nearest bridge, and throw yourself from it." 

"Ah, ah, ah. I don't do anything that will bring me bodily harm." He replies, almost choking on his food.

"Well then, you might want to start running." I say, giving him three seconds before I dart around the table and into the living room, chasing him.

He stands on the other end of the sofa, both hands stretched out in front, "Ok! Ok! Wait! I was joking, I actually do have a proper present!"

"Right. And I'm going to date Jasper." I reply, disbelief lacing my voice.