- 26 -

ELIZA

Weeks had passed by, and we were approaching the Easter Holidays. What used to be subtle signs of attention from Jasper, had escalated to his presence just being everywhere, whether or not his attention was focused on me. I and I couldn't help but want to be this close to him 

"He's winking at you every time you guys make eye contact," Riya complains, "Does he have no decorum?"

I hold back a smile, "Why does this seem to be annoying you more than it does me?"

"Because I'm becoming a third wheel." She groans.

"Third wheel?" I ask, exasperated, "How can you be a third wheel if we're not even dating?"

"You guys may not be dating, but you're certainly driving something with two wheels, and it is not friendship."

I scoff, "Ok, first off, there are no wheels, and even if there was, it's between me and you," I reach out and hold her hand, as she eyes me, "Nothing can come in between our love, baby girl."

"Get off me!" She yelps, instantly retracting her hands as I laugh, "Save the sweet talk for your lover boy."

"He's not my lover boy, he hasn't even followed through with his proposal of a date yet, and that was over a month ago."

"You're making me feel uncomfortably single." She crosses her arms over her chest.

"You've been single your entire life, what difference does this make?" I retort.

"No, we've been single our entire lives, and now you're leaving me for some knock off..." She trails off

"Knock off..." I continue with a small smile, willing her to finish her sentence.

"Knock off someone! I don't know." She huffs.

I laugh, finding her frustration hilarious, "Yeah, keep laughing while you can."

"Riya, someone will find you soon, trust me you're loud enough." 

"Very funny, you should be a comedian." She goes back to her food, looking up for a second she grumbles, "Speak of the devil."

Before I have a chance to speak, an arm swings around my shoulder and someone places themselves gruffly in the seat next to me.

"You were speaking about me?" He asks, a small smirk etching his face, he places a pot on to my tray, "Also I got you ice cream from the canteen."

I smile at him just as Riya stares at him blankly before replying, "No actually, we were complaining about you."

"So I was the topic of discussion then." He replies, smug.

"I don't think finding out we were complaining about you is something to be proud of."

He shrugs his shoulders, showing indifference to Riya's claim, "I'm used to it, there's always some inaccurate rumour about me flying around this place since the moment I've stepped in, feel free to join the bandwagon."

I ask, looking at him, "Rumours like what?"

"That I'm involved in some dumb gang," He scoffs, "At least give me more credit, why would I be in some weak, hormone filled gang that consists of high school dropouts?"

"Then what are you in." Riya pipes up, her head moving slightly forward.

Jasper leans in, bring my head with him, as we meet in the centre, he lowers his voice to just above a whisper, "The Mafia."

I shove his hands of my shoulder, glaring at him whist he stops himself from laughing, "Why did I think you'd give us a believable answer."

"I'm being serious!" He reasons.