- 27 -

ELIZA

I spray the purple perfume once more along my wrist just as the bell rings downstairs. My hands wrap around the belt of my bag before I clamber down - trying to make it before anyone else reaches the door. 

To my dismay, Ezra had already opened it, and it didn't feel as though World War Three would break out.

"Jasper." He nods his head, his voice slightly hard.

"Ezra." Jasper copies, there seems to be an air of amusement leaking into his words, "I'm here for your sister."

"I didn't think the flowers were for me."

My lips lift in the corners of my mouth as I walk to the door, and past Ezra, "You got me flowers?"

"I didn't want to be subjected to your fist for not being a gentleman," He jokes, "I also think they would be a nice addition to our first date."

He hands the bouquet of yellow tulips to me, and in turn I cradle them in the crook of my arms, I frown slightly before I comment, "I didn't get you anything. Was I meant too?"

"You being here is more than enough, Eliza." He smiles.

"Can you two stop whatever this is, I think I'm going to gag." Ezra groans from behind us.

I step out of the doorway before turning my head back, "I think you can survive this Ezra."

He closes the door, and we make our way to Jasper's car.

I finish buckling my seatbelt when I speak up, "I thought you would open the door for me, you know you brought flowers and everything."

"Nah, that's doing too much, besides, I think the tulips are more than enough for now."

"And people say chivalry is dead." I grumble.

Jasper snorts, before I continue, "I'm surprised you and Ezra didn't snap each other's necks off."

"Uh," He takes a breath in, "Actually, I spoke with him a few days ago."

"About..." I trail off, waiting for him to continue.

"Well, everything." He shifts the gear, "We've come to a sort of mutual understanding with each other."

"So you're friends?"

"I wouldn't jump and say we're friends necessarily. Just... civil."

"Progress still." I nod.

"Progress indeed." He confirms.

-

We parked at the designated car park, specific for the fair. The smell of popcorn, and the sounds of the wild rush of the crowds, brought back a feeling I had forgotten. Jasper grabs my hand and my attention diverts to his eyes as I look in surprise. He doesn't wait a second before yanking my arm forwards, running to the first ride he sets his eyes on. I let out a small yelp as he drags me through the mass of bodies.

Watching him from behind and observing the grin that was growing on his face was contagious - I felt it mirror on my own lips. There was a spark in his eyes I had never seen before, when I held hand as we dropped from the heights of the tallest rides, and when we screamed as the seats tipped forwards, the exhilaration grew. 

It blossomed like a flower, and with it bringing all the scents of happiness. 

His eagerness was all I needed to forget my own hardships.

I couldn't help but be enamoured by the sense of security he gave me, it was enough to make me feel at ease but it also didn't engulf the fight in me, it allowed me to be who I was without worrying about consequences.