- 4 -

ELIZA

"Riya, I told you that we shouldn't have come so early," I complain, shifting my weight from my right foot to my left. We were positioned behind two trees on the main field, crouching low so we wouldn't be spotted.

Riya pushes her finger to her lips, her concentration not averting from the field in front of us, "We're not that early."

I scoff, and choose to protest, "We're five minutes early, no one in this entire building has any sense of punctuality."

Her face scrunches slightly, grimacing at my point, "Ok, fine, maybe I was a little too excited. But you know what they say, the early bird catches the worm."

I stare at her, mouth slightly agape, "That saying has nothing to do with this situation! What if this is all just some big joke, maybe it's Jasper trying to make me look stupid-"

"Someone's there." Riya interrupts, her voice hushed, but I was still too caught up in my own speculations to notice.

"- he's videoing us right now and making fu-"

"Someone's there! " She whisper-shouts, grabbing my attention.

"Huh?"

She points her finger forwards, drawing my attention to the tracks.

There were two figures, one taller than the other and both seemingly quite masculine. A few moment [ass, before the sounds of their voices become louder and their hand gestures more aggressive. They seemed as though they were on the brink of an argument.

"Can you make out any of them?" I ask as I squint my eyes.

"I can't see clearly, but they're wearing the sixth form uniform, so they're either the same age as us or older." She replies, still intently looking out, "I think we need to move closer."

I look at her with wide eyes, "What? Are you mad, we'll-"

"On the count of three we're running to that bush." She gestures to the bush diagonal to ours, disregarding my protest.

"-get caught. They-"

"1."

"-could be dangerous for all we know-"

"2."

"Riya? Riya are you eve-"

"Now!"

Stopping mid sentence, I run after her with tension running through my veins, cursing her in my head for being so rash. We both push our backs against the bush, panting, even though we barely ran one meter. It's either the adrenaline or our lack of enthusiasm with anything closely related to exercise.

"You have got to stop cutting me." I say, slightly out of breath.

"And you, have got to stop babbling," She retorts, "Crap, I think they saw us."

I turn to look, "What?!"

The two figures that were once conversing, seemed to be approaching our little hideout. My heart races, as we both duck and push our backs further against the spiked twigs, holding our breath in anticipation.

I motion with my hands to stay quiet as I attempt to release a quiet puff of air. With each step they made, the sound of the crunching leaves become more prominent and their hushed whispers also becoming more audible.

I squeeze my eyes shut, and cross my fingers in hope that anything will stop them from finding us.

Soon the sound of crunching leaves came to a halt just a few meters away from us. Both were speaking in hushed tones before eloping into some sort of silence. This silence lasted for about a minute and still I had squeezed my eyes shut.

"Izzy." A familiar voice calls out.

"Eliza, open your bloody eyes."

I comply and open them only to see Riya restraining herself from bursting out with laughter, "Your face, Oh my Lord, you looked like you were taking a shit!" She cackles.

"You sure you weren't looking in a mirror?"

"As much as I love to admire my face, I didn't get the chance to after you cracked all of them."

I ignore this remark and ask her, "Where did they go?"

She stands up and replies, "I checked, they're both leaving the field, that was a close one though, but we still never got to see who they were."

"Do you think it's them? Or at least one of them who sent the letter?" I question, ensuring my voice was just below a whisper.

Riya looks around, "I don't want to jump the gun here, but I don't think it was them who sent it," she turns her head to me for a split second before returning it to its original stance, "If one of them had sent it, they would have waited for you, it doesn't seem like they're expecting someone else. I'd say they were caught off guard from the way they were reacting."

I hum in response. Honestly, I am not sure what to make of this, there is no hint, nor any direction to this clue we've discovered, because we do not know what mystery it is that we have to solve.

"Honestly, this was such a waste of time." I grumble as I stand up and brush the grass of my skirt, "I don't think I'm going to accept random notes from now on, let alone show you."

"You're such a let down, I mean, don't you love this thrill? Our lives aren't gonna get any more exciting than this to be honest." She says linking arms with me as we walk back to the parking.

"You're right I guess. That was kind of fun, I guess I need to loosen up a bit." I reply.

She pushes her glasses as speaks, "It's about time you realise that I only say words of wisdom."

I let out a small laugh, before looking back down at the envelope that was restin in my hands.

"Riya, you're right!" I almost shout.

"I know I am."

"No, I mean about the guys that were there!"

She looks at me, confusion clouding her features, "What makes you so sure?"

I push the envelope in front of her, "Both of them had this in their hands, I think someone sent this to me to meet them both."

She opens the car door, groaning, "We shouldn't have hid, I think it would have been better if we had met them, we would have come to more conclusions."

"Well there's no point regretting it now, I mean it's better to be safe than sorry, we don't know what intentions the owner of this letter were, all we can do now is put this behind us and hope it was a one time situation, I don't need more distractions to put me off my A-levels."

Her hand clenches on the steering wheel, "You're right, but if anything more happens I need you to tell me, like you said this stuff seems shady." 

"I will Riya, I promise," I give her a small smile.

_ _ _

Hey guys,

This was a filler chapter honestly, that's why its short, but please make sure you VOTE and COMMENT

Thankyou

Elle x