- 32 -

ELIZA

My heart was leaping in my chest, and my throat was tightening. The suffocating feeling of regret was wrapping around my heart. I trusted Zayn.

I thought he was my friend.

His last words leave a bitter feeling in me. He believed what he said, he didn't trust anyone, not fully. I wasn't sure whether I should pitty him, or hate him for deceiving me.

But just taking one look at his indifferent face makes me sure of what I think I should do

I do everything to keep the tears in my eyes at bay, sniffing before I continue, "So this is it? It was all fake? Even back-"

I'm interrupted by the vibration erupting in my pocket. I wipe the back of my hand against my nose, before pulling out my phone.

5 missed calls from Ezra.

3 missed calls from Jasper.

My eyebrows furrow, and I unlock my phone to see if there had been any messages that were sent. My inbox remained empty, and before my hovering thumb could press down on Ezra's name, a distressed voice calls out from behind me.

"Eliza!" The sound of footsteps hitting the carpets were echoing down the hall, and I could see the desperation in Jaspers face.

"Jasper, what are you doing here?" I ask, as he approaches.

His hand wraps around my wrist as his eyes dart to Zayn's figure for a split second before slightly tugging me with him as he speaks, "We need to go to the hospital, now."

I let myself fall behind him as we begin our descent down the hallway, "Hospital? What's going on?"

"Your mum collapsed at work."

-

The ride to the emergency department was riddled with anxiety, Jasper was unsure what had happened himself but he had been ordered by Ezra to come and collect me so we could hurry to the hospital. I was so determined to make amends with Jasper, that I ignored the calls from Ezra, not once considering how the constant buzz in my pocket was the result of an emergency an emergency.

My feet rush to the reception desk my face sweaty and my hands trembling.

"Do you know where Florence is?" I ask, there was a slight tremble to her name.

"Surname?"

"Hayashi." I rush out.

"Relation?" The receptionist's monotone voice holds no sympathy.

"She's my mum," I cry out as the ends of my sentences were cracking, "Please just tell me!"

"She's in Ward 7A, room 24."

I don't bother replying as my feet run away from the desk, and cary me to the elevator, I could her the presence of Jasper's looming close by as he followed me. The entire trip down the hospital had me in a frenzy, eventually, Jasper took my one hand in his and guided me through - I know his intentions were to calm me, but the feeling of his cool fingers against my own did nothing to quieten the thoughts raging in my mind.

I see Elijah's figure, hunched over the bed, his hands clasped around mums, just as Ezra exits the room to take a call.

"Mum." I there was a slight waver to my voice as I rush beside her, I don't know what to do with myself. Her eyes were rested, and her skin was deathly pale. The dark bags beneath her eyes were more prominent against the milky colour of her skin, it had been a long time since she had rested properly.