Chapter 6 - The Dive

The group are now on their way to see Eddie. After last night, Max had to tend to Mason's face, the boy having got hit by a couple shards of glass after the lights smashed.

"Not to be a wimp, but can I maybe sit in the car for this visit? Cause this is gonna totally and royally suck." Robin huffed, looking at Nancy.

"It'll be fine." The Wheeler girl shook her head.

Robin frowned. "I just, can't stand to see those dull eyes of Eddie's break again. I really, really can't."

"At least he can drink himself into feeling better." Steve, who was sitting in the back with Dustin, eating some of the food they got for Eddie, lifting up a six-pack of beer.

Max shrugged. "That's what my mom does."

The Buckley girl shrugged. "Why don't we just give it a trial run?" She paused for a moment. "Hey, Eddie. Uh, good news first this time. We got you some Dustin-approved junk food and that six-pack you requested. Oh yeah, and we found Vecna. Only bad news is that he is in that other, darker, much scarier dimension that we told you about, and the gates closed, so we have no way of getting to him, like he's entirely shut off to us, so basically you're screwed. And, no, I know you were already screwed, but now you're like, doubly, triply screwed." She rambled.

Mason leaned forward in between the two front seats, frowning. "I... don't think we should put it like that."

The older girl turned to him, gently grabbing his face, frowning. "What?" The boy raised a brow.

"Your baby face is ruined." Robin pouted.

The younger boy pulled a face. "My baby face isn't ruined. Cuts heal."

"That one won't. Max said it'll scar over." She tapped his right eyebrow, where a dinosaur band aid was over it, making the boy wince, muttering a small 'ouch'. "Oh, sorry buddy."

Mason frowned at the mention of it becoming a scar. He was already insecure about the one down his cheat. Now people are actually gonna see this one. He sighed and leaned back in his seat.

Max grabbed his hand, leaning over slightly to whisper in his ear. "Hey. remember what I told you. You don't have to be insecure about it, okay?"

The shorter boy smiled slightly, leaning his head on the girl's shoulder. "Okay." The red head kissed his forehead.

"We're one step closer to finding Vecna. That's what we say. That's what's important." Nancy nodded.

"See. Robin? Positive spin can make all the difference." Steve ate another pringle, nodding slightly.

Nancy looked ahead of her. "Oh shit." She pulled up to Reefer Rick's place, cop cars and an ambulance being there, along with a crowd. That all got out of the car. "Come on, this way." Nancy led them round a news van and started to listen in on what Chief Powell was saying.

Mason wasn't listening, feeling a dull pain in his head. He took a couple steps away from everyone, looking around slightly. He spotted the same guy from yesterday. Even though he knew it was his dad, but he knew he couldn't tell the others yet. The man gave Mason a smile and Mason smiled back.

The boy continued to look at the man, an unsettling feeling settling in his stomach, and the man looking around before disappearing.

"Mason?" A soft voice brought him back to reality, making him jump. He turned around to everyone looking at him with concern, Max standing in front of him, frowning. "You, okay? Did you see something?"

Mason blinked, frowning, knowing he couldn't tell them yet. "I- it... was the same guy... from before."

The red head nodded, moving forward and gently grabbing his hand, squeezing it. "it's okay. we'll figure it out, okay?"