Six

𝙘𝙤𝙡𝙚

"You can't keep your eyes off her," Nick observes as the men approach the bar.

Cole feels the blood rush into his face. "What?" he stammers. "What are you talking about?"

Nick rolls his eyes, ordering five beers for the group. "Don't play dumb with me, dude."

"You heard what she said!" Cole exclaims, louder than he intends. "The jersey isn't even hers! She didn't even know who I was before tonight."

Nick slides a beer to Cole and asks, "So what?"

"So what?" Cole echoes, shaking his head. "So she's not into me."

"Just because it's not her jersey doesn't mean she's not into you," Nick reminds him. He downs nearly half his beer in one gulp before adding, "You better make a move before Kaiden does."

"What?" Cole snaps, leaning forward to look at their teammate. Sure enough, as Kaiden sips his beer, his eyes are trained on the dance floor, where Freya and her friend are dancing. Cole follows his gaze, careful not to let his stare linger.

The girls are giggling as they dance, shadows from the lights painting their faces. It's the first time Freya really seems to be smiling, Cole observes. It's almost impossible not to stare at her. She has long blonde hair that falls in waves over her shoulders, and even in the dim light of the bar, Cole can make out her icy blue eyes and the spattering of freckles over her nose and cheeks.

Though he doesn't want to admit it to Nick again, he can't help but marvel at her beauty. How every guy in the place isn't staring at her amazes him, though it isn't enough to fetter the tightness of jealousy lingering in his chest when he looks back at Kaiden.

Cole pulls his phone from the pocket of his sweatpants.

Messages

The Boys

Cole
you can lay all the chirps on me
later but right now i could really
use some actual advice

Trevor
i will do my best not to chirp. but
you're asking a lot of me here

Jack
i promise not to make fun of you
what's up

Cole
okay.
i was downplaying how pretty
she is earlier when we were
talkin in the big gc

Trevor
YOOOOOOOOOOO
NO WAY
LITTLE MAN IS GROWING UP
NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE THE DAY

Cole
seriously don't remember what
i just said???

Trevor
What do you mean??! that
wasn't even a chirp!

Jack
cole, i'll text you separate

Trevor
no wait ill be good i promise
how can we help?

Jack
are you tryna make a move?

Cole
i mean idk
guhle is here and he's looking
at her a lot and suzi thinks
he's into her and that if
i want a shot i have to beat him
to it.
Right now, she's out on the dance
floor with her friend, so idk how
i would even be able to do
anything