Thirty-Four

𝕗𝕣𝕖𝕪𝕒

Freya returns home alone just before midnight. She hates the nights that Tate works: the apartment always feels so hauntingly quiet then. And Freya never liked quiet.

Not yet content to go to sleep, Freya collapses onto the couch, putting on a hockey game in the hopes that she might start recognizing some of the names. Cole's next game isn't until tomorrow, against Dallas, so Freya shoots him a text.

Messages

Conversation with Cole Caufield

Freya
are you still awake?

Cole
yes, just brushing my teeth.
trying to get ahead of this jetlag before
it has a chance to set in.

Freya
can i call to say good night?

-------

Almost immediately, Cole's name fills the screen, and Freya smiles. She answers, and his face appears, a goofy grin spreading into his cheeks. 

"Hey," he greets. He appears to be climbing into bed, pulling the covers up over his bare chest.

"Hi," Freya sighs happily, just grateful to see him and hear his voice. "Did you have a good night?" she asks.

Cole hums in agreement. "Yeah, had a good dinner with the boys," he remarks, nestling further into the pillow beneath his head.

Freya wants nothing more than to be beside him, but to avoid coming off too strong, she just says, "Good," with another smile.

"How about you?" Cole inquires. "Dinner with the girls was good?"

Freya nods, propping her elbow up on the back of the couch so that she can rest her head on her chin. "Tate had to work, though, so I'm alone here."

"I'm sorry," he murmurs. "Are you doing okay?"

Freya shrugs but offers him a nod. "Yeah," she breathes. "Just my first night alone since Florida." On their own accord, Freya's fingers start to shake as she picks idly at her nails. "I guess I'm just feeling a little anxious."

"Talk to me," Cole urges, even though Freya can tell his eyelids are heavy. "Let me help."

His sleepiness makes Freya giggle. "You're helping just by talking to me," she promises him, and his eyes lift to examine her on the screen. "And you'll help me by scoring me some goals this week."

"Yes, ma'am," Cole chuckles. After a moment of silence he pipes up again: "Frey, could I ask you something?"

The question quickens Freya's heartbeat, which is already heightened on account of the empty apartment. "Okay," she stammers, hoping her shaky voice doesn't give her a way.

Cole gnaws on his bottom lip a moment, considering, before inquiring, "Are we...seeing other people?"

His words sink into Freya's chest like a thousand pound brick. She swallows her fear as quickly as she can. "What do you mean?" she stutters.

At this, Cole glances away from the screen, almost like he's still afraid to look Freya in the eye—even from thousands of miles away. "Just—I know we're not dating," he hurries. "But—are you, like—seeing other people?" Apparently scrambling now, Cole continues, "Nick just asked and it got me all worried, so I'm sort of going against my better judgment here and just straight-up asking, because I feel like that's the right thing to do, and I don't want you to think that—"