Book 1: Chapter One

College is a place for learning, part-time jobs, and the occasional party or two. But for me, that was not the case. Do not get me wrong, first-day jitters were a big factor in the beginning. But now, now I just wish to drop off the edge of the earth rather than stay here and suffer.

Westberg College for the Gifted, a once-in-a-lifetime experience and all I want to do is go back home and tell my brother he was right.

My name is Newton A. Mercer, and I just found out who my roommate is.

With a swipe of my keycard, I step into the dorm room, two beds sit on either side of me matching wooden desks and closets sit almost mirrored each other. The large window sits behind them as I look over. On my right sat some luggage and clothes while the other laid bare. Shrugging, I kick the door close and toss my things onto the empty mattress. Placing my keycard on the desk I start unpacking.

After a few minutes of contemplating where to put my books the door to the room opened and a sickeningly familiar voice hit my ears sending a shiver down my spine as the scent of lavender hit my nose.

Derek G. Shaw, the man to make my life a living hell.

Throughout most of my middle and high school years, I was well-known as the typical geek. Stayed out of people's way, and kept to myself as much as I could. But like some twisted joke, Derek always found a way under my skin. Like torture, he always found a way to make my life in and out of school a hell, from stealing my books and tossing them out the bus window, to using his stupid abilities against me.

And the worst thing about it... was that we use to be best friends.

Knowing every nook and cranny that twisted my very nerves. Even now as his heels hit the floor, I had a feeling about what was to come.

"Oh, well isn't this a surprise? Rooming with my little Nerd~"

'Ignore him, Newton, as Mother says ignore and they might go away...'

"Not very nice to ignore someone talking to you Nerd?"

Letting out an agitated sigh, I turn to look at him. The top buttons of a plain white shirt were undone and hung low passed his shoulders, revealing a black tank top, tight jeans, and dark low heels. An attire I've only seen him wear every so often his dark hair as fluffy as ever as the smirk on his face lays sharp against his features.

"Hey Derek..." The smile grows just a bit as he steps closer to me. Plucking my glasses from the bridge of my nose everything grew blurry. Reaching forward my fingers miss his hand as he backs up. "Oh, come on Derek give them back."

"Just playing around Nerd~ Come on now." He jokes his blurry figure stepping back over and to my surprise placing my glasses back onto my face as his hand runs through my hair. Pulling back, he walks over to his side of the room. Gathering items from his closet he turns back around. Walking passed he waves as he spoke. "Well got a party to go oversee, have fun with whatever you're doing." He spoke smoothly fixing the jacket in his arms.

"It's not even noon? Who's holding a party at this time of the day?" With a quirked brow Derek looks over his shoulder giving me a wicked smile the realization dawning on me just as fast as he checks to make sure he has his keycard. "NEVERMIND! I don't need to know!" Throwing my hands up in the air, I turn away and start distracting myself with some last-minute organizing.

"Aww, is my favorite little nerd shy? ~" He all but whispers against my ear, making me jump. His arms sliding over my shoulders as I try to shake him off. The jacket hangs from his fingertips blocking my stuff.

"J-just shut it and go!"

'Damn nerves my voice just wants me to sound stupid, doesn't it?'

Looking over the look of surprise upon his tan skin is something I'm not use to the smirk all but fading for a second. Returning only with a vengeance as he counters.

"Well, aren't you getting a little ballsy Wolf..."

My body freezes as the word feel from his lips, a new ounce of panic rushing through my veins. As I've said before Derek used to be my friend. More than that, he was the only person I ever told my family's secret too. But in return he announced what he was to me. Even now actually hearing him say that sends lightening down my spine.

"Oh? What's the matter? Incubus got your tongue?"

Shaking my head, I yank his arms from around me. Standing up, I finally snap waving my arms out to my sides as I spoke.

"Look Derek this isn't High School, shit this isn't Middle School anymore there is no need to be keeping up this stupid bully act anymore. Grow up already and leave me alone!" And for the second time in the span of five minutes had I ever wiped the smirk off his face.

Backing up he gives me a once over slightly tilting his head. The silence deafening but all I could hear right now was my racing heart.

'Holy shit I actually done it... I've stunned him.'

The thought crosses my brain before being shattered as his mouth finally opened.

"You've grown some wolf I'll give you that. But if you think I'm not going to bug you for the next few years." Turning he saunters over to the door. "You got another thing coming." He finally finished closing the door behind him. Leaving me in our silent dorm room. Mind racing as my legs finally give and I fall back against the mattress.

'Fuck... What have I done? Should have kept my mouth shut.'

Sitting there, I contemplate what to do next. Between needing to finish organizing my things and wanting to have a nervous breakdown, I just could not wrack my brain around either as my phone started to go off in my pocket. Nerves already on edge, I nearly hit the floor. Snatching it from my back pocket an alarm with the words 'Intro 2 Mech' flash and the decision was decided for me.