Chapter Fifteen

Days came and went break making its slow way towards us, and when it finally does it does with a vengeful spite.

Pulling up into Derek's family parking garage, several nice cars sit. His father collection to say the least. Something about fixing up old Junkers and making them beautiful always seemed to fascinate him. Derek's jeep pulls into an empty spot, as across the street Garrett's truck pulls up.

"Does this seem a bit much?" I question Derek as we pull out of the Jeep my heart nearly dropping out of my chest as his mother's voice slipped into my ears.

"No darling, not at all. I would rather be of help and see the anger on his face then see him rise further." Angelia, Derek's' mother meets us halfway up the driveway her arms opening as Derek drops his bags and moves over to her. Pulling him into a hug she smiles towards me.

"Welcome home kiddos." Derek's father Peter steps out onto the driveway pulling Derek into a hug before motioning over to me. "Come now, no need to stand there like stray dog. Your mom and aunt are already here. Briefed and ready to go." He whispers as soon as he could pull me into a hug. Once he pulls away, he motions for us to follow.

"I- I forgot your family was rich, Do I look okay?" Motioning towards my button up and jeans Derek chuckles and shakes his head. Picking up his bags he stops to look at me.

"Trying to dress to impress?" Reaching forward I punch his shoulder, the laughter against the air making Garrett turn to face us as he helps a petite girl out of the passenger side, glaring us down as we make our way inside. Reaching the door an older man with a step before us, taking our bags and placing them onto the cart. "Thanks Trevor, go have a day off after this. I'll let mother know."

The older man nods, fixing his suit before taking the cart through the house. Stepping through the house we move towards the kitchen where my mother stands glaring me down, her grey hairs tied loosely behind her head as she steps in front of me. Nearly taking me down as she pulls me into a hug, my fingers gripping the kitchen doors frame.

"Hey Ma." Pulling her arms away she continues to glare me down before taking my arm and pulling me across the room. Her eyes moving to Derek who waves softly.

"Uh, Hi Mrs. Mercer." The panicked look on his face visible as our eyes meet.

"Ma, let me go." Leaning forward I whisper against her ear. "And please stop glaring Derek down he didn't do anything." She turns from me to Derek for a minute her soft glare fading to a not so tight smile as she whispers back.

"Alright, Alright, but I am going to have a word with him later." I nod understandingly as she pulls away and spoke aloud. "So, Garrett Peirce?"

"Yep." The low growl from across the room caught my ears as my eyes move towards my aunt who looks like she's about to break someone's arm, or tear someone's head off either one. Turning my attention away from her it turns to the decorations laid out on the table.

"Looks like you guys were planning too."

"Oh yeah, and you're going to love this." Came her smirk as she placed her hand on the table.

***

"So, so I don't have things mixed. During the High Rises Spirit Festival, you want to try and get him to confess?" Angelia nods motioning towards Mrs. Mercer and her sister who nod in agreement.

"Yes dear, Mrs. Mercer and her sister have been keeping a close eye on the family since things have been coming to a bit of a head recently." The smirk that danced across her features giving away how much fun she seemed to be having.

"My sister and I have possibly located some dirt on the little Peirce. I hadn't been able to figure out why they have kept them for this long but, do you both know about the tapes?" Newton quickly explains what we had been talking about while we were on campus, a smile growing on her face before chuckling. "Well let's hope these are the tapes, why would he keep them otherwise."

Out of the corner of my eye my mother does a very obscene gesture making my father hit her shoulder and my hand to fly to my mouth to hold back the loud snort that dare fall from my lips.

"Possibly." Came Newtons voice as he elbows my side, the laughter falling as I shake my head at him.

"Your son has a terrible sense of humor." The confusion on her face that made home falls as she shakes her head.

"Gained it from his father." She retorts, "If we can get back into what we were talking about." Everyone nods in agreement as she clears her throat and continues. "During the festival Newton, you and your sister are going to break into Garrett's room and steal back the tapes. From there you will bring them to me and Angelia who will give them to the mayor. From there we will only hope he can put them up on the big screen without looking at them." Not missing a beat, she looks towards Newton who is registering her words.

"So, until then, you want us to play it cool till then?" The question falls into the air as she nods a smile coming to her face.

"You two need a break the travel here must have you both exhausted by this point. If we need your help, we will let you know." Gathering up the remains of the plan she hands them off to my mother who disappears down the hall towards my father's study.

Returning shortly after with a set of keys in her hand. Tossing them towards me, I catch them before giving her a confused look.

"Mother? -", "That jet lag is going to catch up sooner or later." She teased as a hand grabs my arm and pulls me along.

"Thanks Mrs. Shaw!", "Please Newton, Angelia will do." Her words seem to fall on deaf ears as we make our way out of the kitchen.

"What was that for?" I ask as Newton takes the keys from me. Pulling me through the house and out the back door a determined look on his tired face. "Nerd? ~" I sing song trying to catch his attention. Turning his head to look back at me I smile. "What is up with you?"

"Besides wanting to punch Garrett so hard in the face his teeth fall out his skull, tired. But before we go relax, I need you to hear something." He finally says as we walk through the forestry.

About a good hour, hour and a half pass before a soft voice hits our ears.

"Newton? You have come back. What news do you bring?" Confused I look around as Newton smiles.

"You wouldn't believe what we just found out!" He proclaims, a tree's trunk sits off to the side as I quirk a brow.

"Who are you-"

"Derek?" The voice finally hits me, taking my gaze of Newton to look around the heavy trees.

"Harriet?"

"Long time no see Derek." Before I could say anything else a cold hand lands on my shoulder making my head whip around. Looking to a young woman no older then about seventh grade floats a few inches off the ground a smile on her scared face.

"Holy shit." I mumble, everything I was about to say fell from my lips disappearing as she attempts to hug me. Sending a chill up my spine as she fazes through me.

"How are things?"

"How are you?" Finding my voice, the question makes a smile hit her face as she shrugs her shoulders.

"I still haven't figured it all out myself, but it's been pretty fun to say the least." She responds motioning for us to follow her. Finding a spot on the trunk she pats the spot next to her. "So, what good news do you got for me this time?"

We sat there talking for a long while, explaining college life and other eventful things that had happened throughout the last few years. Until the sun all but disappeared from above, and the splash of moonlight makes its way over head.