Chapter Sixteen

"Times flown by." Harriet smirks looking up to the darkening skies. "If things turn out, I wonder if I'll ever see this again."

"I'm positive." Newton responds, getting up and stretching from where he was on the dirt ground in front of us. Harriet smiles floating up a bit as I stand to follow Newton. Pulling out the keys from Newton's pocket, I jingle them making his head look to me.

"These are the keys to my mother's cabin closest to the lake?" Newton nods motioning towards the lake a confused look on my face. "Please don't tell me you remember where it is?"

"My nose knows all." Newton jokes as he motions for me to follow. Trekking through the woods Harriet follows with a soft smile. Reaching the cabin in no time at all, the light on the porch is already on, a note clipped to the front of a backpack that sits leaned against the frame.

"Newton?"

"Yeah?" He questions taking the bag off the ground and opening it, chuckling as soon as his eyes land on the contents. "Dammit Mac."

"Your brother? When did he find out we were in town?" Unlocking the door, we step inside.

"Knowing Mac, he probably had ma tell him. But that also means Lilith will know soon and will want to start a fight." Shaking my head, we step inside Harriet waves us a goodnight before disappearing.

"Your sister is scary."

"She is not that bad. Just protective." Newton chuckles shrugging his shoulders. Stepping towards the kitchen he turns the lights on and pulls out the contents of the bag. Two bottles of whiskey, two nicely packaged glasses, and a few recommended chasers.

"Your brother is amazing. How did he even get this stuff? Isn't his bar on the edge of town they usually don't sell this stuff."

"You think he doesn't keep the good stuff to himself? Man has the biggest collection of alcohol I've seen since our old mans." He laughs taking the chasers and placing them off to the side. "What do you say about a few drinks before bed?"

"Oh nerd? This is new. ~" I smirk rounding him and taking the whiskey from his hands. Undoing the packaged glasses, I pour both of us a drink. Sliding it over to him. "Cheers to a hopeful quick end."

"Cheers."

***

By the time the bottle is gone, we had moved from the kitchen to the living room. The fireplace flickering softly as the moons light slipped through the curtains.

"I never would have expected you to have such good choice in drinks." Downing the rest of his glass I chuckles and shakes my head.

"M-my brother mentioned some choices before we got here. Kind of just guessed." I shrug, laying my head on the edge of the couch. Looking over Derek who is moving from beside me, his head falling into my lap his eyes watching the flames. "What are we going to do after this?" The question feels stale on the tongue as Derek hums.

"What do you mean by that?" Derek retorts turning his head to look up at me.

"After busting Garrett and getting things turned around. Do you still want to- I don't know? Start over?" I respond, rubbing my eyes.

Pulling my hand from my face I nearly jump from where I was sitting, Derek has moved to straddle me, his dark spaded tail swaying as he tilts his head confusion against his eyes. The soft tint of red against his cheeks as he speaks.

"Thought we already did that? Besides, when this is all over." He motions with a wave of his arms. "If you want too. D-Do you maybe want to go out some time? Something a little less glaring down an idiot and maybe something more?" He fumbles with the glass in his hand for a minute, "Maybe go see what your brothers bar has to offer?"

"That sounds like fun." Leaning forward he plants a swift kiss on my cheek, and for a second a rock makes itself known in my gut.

"What's wrong?" Derek asks, his palm landing on my face and making me look at him. For a minute, I don't know if I should say it but liquid courage seems to be a thing as I spoke.

"You missed." I finally say a look of confusion back on his face as his tail sways hypnotically behind him.

"How so- "

Leaning forward, I cut him off planting a harsh kiss to his lips, his arms quick to find themselves tight around my shoulders pulling me closer. Pulling away for a minute he lays his forehead against mine. "O-oh, that's what you meant." He stutters out, a smile making its way onto his face. Leaning forward his lips find mine again his tail falling to grip around my leg. "Getting a bit ballsy aren't you puppy."

"You're enjoying this.", "More so than you can ever imagine." Derek mumbles his fingers running through the back of my hair pushing my glasses a bit out of place. Chuckling Derek pulls my glasses from my face his entire form becoming blurry.

"Derek I can't see." The tail on my legs squeezes as his fingers grab the front of my shirt.

"I know puppy don't worry I got you." His voice against my ear sends a ripple down my spine. A soft chuckle is soon to follow as he plants kisses against my jaw leading them back to my lips which he captures a smile pushing against them. "How far?" Derek mumbles against my lips.

"Besides kissing you again I think we should get to bed." Hardest as I must the yawn falls from my lips my right-hand moving to cover my face. Derek chuckles kissing my forehead before pushing himself off my lap.

"Alright, let's move this to the bed. Sleepy kisses sound pretty good right now." Derek helps me up pulling me by the hands and onto my feet. Staggering we lean against each other as we walk upstairs to the open bedroom. Falling into the King size bed Derek's head lays on my chest for a minute. Before lifting a kiss right below my chin.

"I can't believe it took us this long..." Feeling another peck against my chin I can't help the smile that made itself home on my face. Moving a bit to kiss the top of Derek's forehead silence made its way around the room. After a long minute, I look to see Derek passed out his tail wrapped around my leg and his head glued to my chest, a soft hum playing on my lips as my eyelids drooped. Exhaustion finally making its way into my bones.

***

Pushing up off Newton's chest slowly I can't help but smile as he grumbles against my movement. Following close behind is a soft sense of dread that tries to grip at my chest. Looking away from Newton I move to sit up, throwing my legs off the end of the bed I stretch and try not to fall back as my back pops. Arms in case my waist making me jump and look down.

"Come back to sleep." Newton grumbles, pulling my waist as a chuckle pull passed my lips.

"In a minute puppy." I respond running my fingers through his hair a soft growl pulling from his throat his arms fall away and his face buries into my side. Getting up his face lays in the blanket before moving back against the pillows. Moving towards the bathroom, I splash water into my face calming the raging fear within my storming thoughts.

After a long minute, I return to the room my head thudding as I fall back into the bed. Newton's arms wrap around me as soon as I hit the pillow.

"You, okay?" He asks one eye cracked open to look at me through curly locks.

"Yeah, was just thinking no need to worry." Kissing his forehead, he pulls me close. The eye closes as I move to throw my arms around him. His face buries into my chest as we get comfortable.

'I'll worry about it tomorrow, for now, for now, I'll enjoy.'