CHAPTER 21

THE PAST

Sarah fisted her hands in frustration. She was sick of this feeling. Despite her resolve, she gave in to her family's persistent requests. Her potential groom and his family were coming for lunch. And her mother was fussing over Sarah's dress.

"Sarah, you're not getting married today. It's only a meeting," her mother said.

"Mom, it feels like a big deal. And this is unfair."

"Sarah, we have been through this already. One day you have to get married, and arranged marriages have been part of our culture since ages. We are not asking you to say 'yes'. Just meet him and talk. Then decide what do you want."

"You sound so simple but I know how much of a burden it is."

"This is jitters, doll." Her mother patted her cheek lightly. Sarah tried to smile but couldn't. Her eyes were clouded with sadness.

***

Sarah kept a few feet distance between the man who was her potential groom and herself. She'd be fool to say that he wasn't handsome, but handsome men never made her feel giddy. She had seen how shallow such men could be. She had been approached by many in her college. All of them only saw her beauty.

Vardhan smiled shyly. "This is very weird, you know."

Sarah stayed silent.

"I know what are you feeling. Even I am feeling pressurized. I threatened my family that I'd sue them, but they weren't fazed a bit. They wanted me to meet you."

"I don't want to get married. I have dreams." Sarah decided to tell him the truth.

"I know. Your grandfather told me. I will never stop you from perusing your dreams. I will support you."

Sarah bristled at his admission. "Why are you assuring me? I told you I don't want to get married. Saying this will not make me change my mind."

Vardhan put his hands up in surrender. He stepped forward, but Sarah hesitantly moved aside. Sarah didn't miss Vardhan's reaction. His jaw locked and eyes narrowed. She had hurt his ego. Last thing she wanted was to give him a reason to complain about her. She knew she would hear about it from her family.

Varadhan said something but Sarah had tuned him out.

***

A week went by and her family said nothing about the arrangement. This relaxed Sarah. She assumed that the other family had refused to continue this.

As she turned the corner of her college building, a car drove past by her. It stopped at a distance. Sarah slowed down. When Vardhan exited from the driver's side, Sarah fumed.

"What are you doing here?" she asked him.

"Just came to see you." He shrugged. She couldn't see his eyes as he was wearing the shades.

"You have no right to be here," she said, gritting her teeth.

"It's a free country, Sarah. By the way, who was that guy?"

Sarah was taken aback. Her mind went blank. She struggled to make sense what he was saying.

"What? Who?"

"The guy who wore red shirt. You were laughing at something he said."

Sarah straighted. Now, this man was freaking her out. It was an hour ago when she sat with her friends in the canteen and joked around. Their group had two guys and one was wearing the red shirt. Sarah's concern deepened. How could he possibly see that? They were inside the the campus, an enclosed space. She had not seen Vardhan around.

"How do you know? Are you spying on me? It's a crime you know?"

"Woha! I only said that as a joke. I didn't know it was the truth."

Sarah decided not to bait him. He wasn't joking. "I should go."

"I can drop you off." He offered.

"No, thank you. My car is here." She didn't wait for his reply and walked off. She could feel him watching her every step. A creepy feeling crawled up her spine.

***

Two days later, it was Sunday. Sarah had barely slept as she was working on her assignment all night.

She groaned when her mother knocked on her door.

"Mom, go away, please. I'm sleepy."

"It's almost noon. Anyway, there is a parcel in your name. And flowers."

Sarah immediately sat up straight. The eerie feeling she had felt a few days ago was back. The first picture her mind could conjure up was of Vardhan.

Sarah opened the door. Her mother smiled at her. She was holding the parcel and red roses.

"Who sent these?" Sarah asked, eying the said object with mistrust.

"Why don't you see yourself?" Her mother handed her things.

Sarah hesitated for a bit. Deep down she know whose name she'd find on the card. She just didn't want to see it and confirm this. She hadn't told her family that Vardhan had ambushed her outside her college. In her society it was considered courting. But Sarah found it revolting. She had been thinking about the ways to tell the truth to her family.

Taking a deep breath, she grabbed the parcel from her mother's hand. Her instincts were right. It was from Vardhan.

How dare he? Her thoughts screamed. It was intrusive.

"Why is he sending this? I told him I'm not interested in him."

"What?" her mother squeaked.

Sarah grimaced. She had not disclosed it to her family.

"Sarah, what did you say to Vardhan?"

"Mom, it's nothing."

"Sarah, you said 'no' to Vardhan? When?"

Sarah bit inside her of her cheek. She didn't want to have this conversation with her mother.

"Answer me, Sarah. If this is true, your grandfather will hear about this. I can't help you unless you tell me."

"There's nothing to help mom. You told me that it would be my decision. So, I told him the truth."

"When? The day he came to see you?"

Sarah didn't say a word, but it was an answer enough for her mother. She gasped in horror. She grabbed Sarah's hand and dragged her inside her room, locking themselves.

Sarah frowned. Her mother was acting weired.

"Mom, why are you freaking out?"

"Unbelievable, Sarah. Why did you say no without thinking? Your grandfather will hear about this and he'll not be happy."

"What about me, mom. I made myself clear that I'm not ready for the marriage. Why am I being pushed?"

"You have to get married one day. How will you find a husband if you don't give it a serious though? Vardhan's is a nice man, his family is respectable."

"I'm very young, mom. I have dreams and aspirations."

"I know, and no one is stopping you from achieving those."

"How can you be so sure that my soon-to-be husband and in-laws will let me continue my studies. Wouldn't they want me to behave like a daughter-in-law. They all say that they are supportive, but in the end, they all expect you to leave your career and focus on your home. I don't want that mom."

"Is this the real reason. Or, you have someone in your life."

"MOM!" Sarah cried in helplessness. "I don't have anyone in my life. Can't believe my own family doesn't trust me."

Her mother sighed. "Sarah, the society we live in, it is not easy for us women."

"When was it ever easy, mom?"

"Give it a chance, Sarah."

Tears brimmed in Sarah's eyes. This proposal was putting a strain on her relationships with her own family.