CHAPTER 23

CHAPTER 23

Sarah felt as if she was floating on the air. She turned, but a hand held her. She opened her eyes and took her surroundings in. Chris's worried face was all she could see. Blinking rapidly, she got up. She was on couch in his office. She would have fallen if he hadn't stopped her from rolling on the side.

She glanced outside and was stunned to see that the night had fallen. Heat rose to her cheeks. She was embarrassed that she fainted. In the office. When the realization sank in, Sarah was mortified. She would surely become the source of office gossip.

How will I face everyone now?

She wanted bury herself in a deep, dark hole and never resurface.

A gentle touch on her hand brought her back to reality. She looked up at Chris. His hand grasped hers in a gentle grip, sending a soothing sensation up her nerves. How could a soft touch make everything seem normal.

Yes, she felt as if everything was normal. With this man beside her, she felt confident that she could face whatever life would throw at her.

With a deep sigh, Sarah leaned back against the couch.

"We should go home," she finally said. She didn't want to step out of this room, but she had to. She couldn't hide in here forever.

"Are you sure?" he asked. Sarah didn't answer him. She wasn't sure and her silence was answer enough.

She could see him typing something on his phone. A few seconds later, his phone pinged.

"Crystal and Ash are coming in a few minutes," he told her. Sarah straightened. She didn't want to slouch in front of her friends.

"They're still here?" she couldn't help but ask.

"Yes. They didn't want to leave you alone. They went to cafeteria to grab something to eat."

Sarah felt a little guilty for holding them here. She wished she could handle her reaction better. She checked her phone. Aviraj had sent many messages asking where she was.

"Does Avi know?" she asked. Her cousin would go loose control.

"No. But he should know." Chris squeezed her hand.

"I will. But I don't want to cause him stress."

"I understand, Sarah. He called asking about you an hour ago because you weren't home. I handled him. But not telling him will be unfair. I can't imagine my sisters going through something terrible and not telling me. It'll drive me insane. "

Sarah gave him a small smile. It was becoming extremely difficult to control her emotions whenever she saw this side of him. Underneath all that carelessness and childish bullshit was a caring and gentle man.

She sent a quick text to her brother to ease his worry.

By then Crystal and Ashlyn had arrived with food. Ash handed her a coffee cup, and a sandwich. She was hungry as she had skipped the lunch.

After eating, Chris asked his sisters to go as he would give Sarah ride home.

As they reached their floor, Chris said, "You want to come in?"

Sarah stood there dumbfounded. Did she want to go in? She glanced at her door and then at Chris's. Truth was, she didn't want to be alone after today. She'd over think and drive herself crazy.

Fearing that she would cry, Sarah nodded. Chris smiled at her and stepped back, gesturing her to go inside first.

They sat on the couch.

"I wish, you could tell me everything, Sarah. It pains me seeing you scared."

She chuckled humorlessly. "I don't know how to start this conversation. I want to leave that part my life behind, but it seems it'll never go away. And I'm scared. Because every time it reared its ugly head, I'd be a trembling mess. Fainting in front of everyone, humiliating myself. How pat—"

She couldn't complete her rant as Chris had yanked her, pulling her onto his lap. Sarah shrieked as she was taken by surprise. For a moment, she forgot how to breathe. She had never been this close to him, and there was certainly not this much of touching involved. She gulped. Her cheeks reddened. She opened her mouth to say something but shut it as she had nothing to say.

Leaning in, Chris gently rubbed the tip of his nose on her left cheek. Sarah shuddered. Her brain screamed at her that whatever was going on here was going. But... there was still a whisper that they were meant to be. She clutched his shoulders, nails digging into his skin. She shivered when his lips softly traced her cheek. Her arms went around his neck. Sarah shifted in his lap, arched in his grip as the sensations became too intense to bear. Boundaries were being crossed but she was helpless. This didn't feel wrong.

Chris's hand cupped her nape, pulling her closer. When he kissed her cheek, Sarah bit her lip. His breath tickled her skin, causing goose bumps to rise. She felt a throbbing in her stomach. She was experiencing these feelings for the first time in her life. Since she had been raised in a conservative family, she was shy when it came to intimacy. She wanted to be bold but didn't know how.

She was still in her thoughts when felt a touch on her lips. Her eyes snapped open. She gulped when she saw how intently Chris had been looking at her. His thumb traced her bottom lip. At first it was a feather soft touch, but then he put pressure. Throbbing between her legs intensified. She squeezed her legs in order to suppress her reaction, but that was a wrong move because Chris's expression grew serious and... sexy. In blink of an eye, he flipped them on the couch, pinning her under him.

As they gazed into each other's eyes, Sarah became aware of their position. She averted her gaze. She was too aware of their bodies touching each other. His weight on her stirred something inside her. She hadn't known how amazing it felt to be pinned under someone she admired.

"Do you know, you have beautiful eyes?" he whispered.

Sarah didn't say a word. She gulped.

"Huh? Have I rendered you speechless?"

"No. And thank you for the compliment," she replied but it was a struggle. Her voice trembled. A small smirk graced his face. He knew what he was doing to her.

He leaned down, touching their forehead. "You know, I have dreamed of this many times. Pinning you under me, moaning my name as I kiss you senseless."

Her breath hitched. She should say something to stop but deep down she liked hearing him saying things like this. He ran his knuckles on her cheek, and she closed her eyes, drowning into his touch. She gulped and arched her back. Her hand ran through his hair. They both stilled when a phone rang in the distance, breaking the spell.