[003]

I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Peter's POV

Peter's POV

I sit in my room, staring at the blank wall. I inspect every small crack in the paint. Oddly enough it's keeping me occupied.

The door opens and I turn to see who it is. Brenner, the brainwashing bitch. This man makes all the children believe he's some kind of father figure. He's nothing but a bitch and a coward.

"Peter. I have an assignment for you." He states as he closes the door behind him. "After the incident with 019, I want you to keep watch on her. Spend time with her and make sure she doesn't act out again." "Of course, sir." I mutter. He nods and steps out of the room. Bitch.

Your POV

The rainbow room is quiet today. Most of the kids now keep to themselves and play alone. I think they are afraid of something. All I know is that 011 won't even come near me. She stays in the corner with a pad of paper and colored pencils.

I sigh and continue doodling on my paper. I then feel a warm presence behind me. "Hi, Peter." I mumble.

I knew it was him immediately. He gives off such a warm and gentle aura. "Hello, 019. Would you like to play chess with me?" He asks. I drop my pencil and turn to face him. He has a small smile on his face and his hands are clasped around the chess box. "Sure." I mutter.

He sets the chess board down on the table over my paper. He hands me my pieces and starts to set up his side of the board. I do the same.

We sit in silence for a moment before he speaks. "It's quiet in here today, huh?" He asked me, not looking up from the board. "They are scared of something. Or someone..." I mutter. Peter shifts his gaze up to me. "What would they be afraid of?" "Me." I mutter, finally meeting his gaze. He stays silent, but only for a moment. "What makes you think that?" He asks. "Are you my goddamn therapist or something?" I state, starting to get agitated. I sigh, trying to calm down. "011 won't speak to me, let alone look at me, since my fight with 002." I feel Peter's hand rest on my shoulder, softly rubbing his thumb over it.

"Maybe it's nothing. But if you really feel like it is that, talk to her. It doesn't hurt to ask." He states, trying to soothe my nerves. I look up at his face, he has a small smile on his face and I can't help but to smile back. "Thanks, Peter."

He had stayed nearby me for most of the day, which I found quite... strange. I mean sure, I see him the majority of the time with him being a more important orderly than the others. But I mean, he's nearby me every second of the day.

As I sat in the cafeteria earlier for lunch, he stood in the corner quietly observing me. Rainbow room? He constantly made conversation with me and played chess with me. Testing, in the room. Training activities, in the room. Even whenever I go to my room, I spot him somewhere in the hall. As I leave my room, he's standing outside my door. It's all too strange.

The next morning as we sit in the cafeteria eating breakfast, I see him again. I got fed up. I tossed my remaining food in the trash and marched up to him. He just tilted his head and watched me march towards him. "Good morning, 019." He said in his usual raspy but calm voice. "Are you stalking me or some shit?" I ask bluntly. "Ah, so you've picked up on it. Brenner has asked me to watch you and spend time with you." He explains way too calmly. "It's about the fight with 002, isn't it?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm afraid so. But between you and me," He started, then bending down to whisper in my ear, "I won't stop you from trying to harm anyone who gets in your way." He then steps back with a smirk plastered on his face.

"I'll see you in the rainbow room." He says, winking at me. I give him an awkward smile and walk back to my table.

Later that morning we all went to the rainbow room after testing. Peter has joined me once again in playing chess. He always beats me, no matter how hard I try to win. "Checkmate." He mutters to me. I glare at him. "Why do you always win?" I ask, leaning forward. "I'm just smarter than you." He says, smirking back at me.

Brenner steps into the room and all the children's heads perk up. "Good morning, Papa." They all day in unison. I roll my eyes at the name papa.

Brenner greets them and makes his way over to me and Peter. "I would like you to take 019 to a private room to do some one-on-one lessons." Peter nods. "Anything specific?" He asks. Brenner bends down to whisper in his ear so I can't hear. I scowl and lean back in my chair. Eventually, Brenner stands back up and leaves the room.

"So, what's the 'lesson'?" I ask Peter. "You'll learn soon. Come on." He states as he stands up and leads me out of the rainbow room and down the hall, searching for a room. He eventually brings me into a small room with two chairs and some equipment. "So, shall we start?" Peter asks, leaning forward in his chair with a smirk on his face.