[008]

We're all born mad. Some remain so.

I wake to the sound of my alarm clock blaring in my ear

I wake to the sound of my alarm clock blaring in my ear. I shift to turn it off. When I turn around to look for Peter, he isn't there. I know he has to up before me, but part of me is still sad he isn't here.

I quickly get myself out of bed and changed. I walk down the quiet hallway, pushing open the door to the rainbow room.

I immediately see Peter sitting at the table setting up the chessboard. I smile to myself and walk over.

As I sit down he looks up at me with his beautiful blue eyes. "Good morning, love." He mutters, making butterflies appear in my stomach. God, I love that nickname.

"Good morning." I say with a smile, trying to hide my blush.

We go through 2 games of chess, each of us winning once. "Tiebreaker." Peter says, smirking up at me. "I bet you I'm gonna win."

I chuckle at his cockiness. "In your dreams, love." I say, mocking him from earlier. "Haha, very funny." He mutters sarcastically, earning a chuckle from me.

After an intense game, I quickly spot an opening. I slam my piece down. "Aha! Checkmate." I say, smirking up at him. "Fair game." He mutters, smiling at me.

As we start to set up for another game, Brenner steps into the room, and the children greet him as usual. He then turns to me and Peter. "You two know the drill." He says, handing Peter a clipboard of my training for the day. Peter nods and we wait till all the children have filed out of the room.

As I start to walk out, Peter grabs me by the wrist and spins me around to face him. "I have an idea. How about we finish this training quickly, and then we can work on your telekinesis?" He asks, his hand still grasping my wrist. "Sure, I'm down for that." I say smiling.

The training went by rather quickly and we are now working on my telekinesis

The training went by rather quickly and we are now working on my telekinesis. We sit in a small room that is out of use. A table separates us as we sit in the two chairs across from each other. A large contraption rests on my rest. It has wires coming out all around it, and a few are stuck onto my forehead.

In front of me resting on the table is a small soda can. "Focus all your energy onto it, try not to use your original power." Peter states. "I'm trying, it's not working." I mutter, getting aggravated.

"Okay, try imagining the can getting crushed in front of you, push all your energy into it." He demonstrates.

I start to focus on the image of the can crushing in front of me. I push all my energy into the can, making it crush a tiny bit. "That's good, keep trying." I focus on the can, blocking out any other distractions. It crushes all the way down till it's a small disc.

I smile up at Peter. "Good job. You wanna try one more time?" He asks. "Sure, why not."

He places another can in front of me and I repeat the same actions, making it crush immediately into a disc. "That was great." Peter says, making me smile.

He takes the contraption off my head, disconnecting the wires off my forehead. He kisses my forehead, making me blush at the action. He notices my blush and smiles. "You're amazing." He mutters, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear. My face just heats up more and I immediately advert my gaze from him.

I hear his chuckle as he backs away from me. "Come on, we should go back to the rainbow room." He says as starts to walk out of the room, I follow closely behind.

The rest of the afternoon went by in a blur

The rest of the afternoon went by in a blur. Me and Peter continued our usual chess games and I joined 011 and we drew together. However, most of the afternoon I haven't been able to get one thing out of my head, Peter.

I mean, we've gotten so close over the last few weeks.  He is so kind and caring towards me, and overall an amazing person. How could he work in such an awful place?

A bad feeling had lingered in the back of my mind. What if it's all a trap? What if Brenner wants him to get close to me so I'll dump all my secrets to him and he'll report it back?

No. No, he couldn't. He's talked too much about how Brenner's an asshole. I mean the guy literally told me if I wanted to beat someone up he wouldn't stop me, even though Brenner told him to.

Then I realize it, I care for him too much. I've grown an attachment. Part of me wonders if Peter feels the same.

Suddenly, we were then informed it was time for dinner.

All the children, including me, make our way out of the room and into the cafeteria. We form a line and each grab a plate, the staff serving us.

I make my way back to the small table in the corner and sit. I was able to eat a good amount of food before getting full. I sat there for a few minutes, picking at the veggies left on my plate.

I've never been a huge fan of vegetables. There are a few that I like, but the ones they served tonight definitely weren't my favorite.

I had eventually walked over to the trash and tossed out the remaining food on my plate.

Because I had eaten so slowly, I was the only person left in the cafeteria, except for Peter of course.

I had walked to the door where Peter was standing. "Goodnight, 019." He says, then suddenly bending down to whisper in my ear. "Mind if I stop by your room later?" He whispers in my ear, his breath causing tingles to rush down my neck. I shake my head. "See you then." He says, winking as he leans back up.

I walk out of the cafeteria, letting the blush creep across my face. I hurriedly run to my room and change into my oversized hoodie and shorts.

I lay down on my bed in the dark room. I smile to myself, thinking about Peter once again. I may have a small problem now.