24

the next day, ayeong walked into her class with dahyun, seeing her sat in front of jaemin and hayoung- again.

she sighed, but walked over anyway, placing her things down in front of her- and sitting on the wooden bench seat.

as she started her work, she began to listen to the conversation of the couple behind her.

"jaemin, i love your face, you're so attractive!" she heard hayoungs annoying and high pitched tone.

"baby, you should never cut your long hair off, i love it so much you don't understand. it's my forever favourite thing about you!" jaemin replied.

ayeong froze. he had just used the exact same words he had used on ayeong three years ago- and her once fondest memory became her worst one.

she suddenly felt a deep hatred for her long blue hair, feeling like the thing that made her the most self confident- was just something that jaemin told every girl.

the one thing she genuinely liked about herself was gone, and she had nothing that really made her feel any confidence.

////////

ayeong stood in front of the bathroom mirror, grabbing the sharpest scissors she could find in the house.

she started to cut, and cut, until her long and healthy hair was on the floor, her blue locks only reached just beyond her shoulders now, while back then- they reached down to her bum.

she looked at the navy hair rested on the tiles beside her feet, not feeling an inch of regret inside of her body.

she was proud of herself for finally putting jaemin behind her. she stomped on the feelings that she had for the boy, and realised that she no longer needed him.

all of the times she would call him and receive no answer, all the unread texts, all the denied hangouts, all the ignored smiles at school.

it all fed into her final decision, that she didn't need him anymore,

or so she thought.