Act 7 ch 8

"Are you sure we got enough plain onesies?" Victoria asks walking out of a baby store with her mother and sister.

"Let me see. 40 people have RSVP'ed yes to Lane's shower, and we bought 60 onesies for them to decorate" Lorelai replies. "don't want to go all Beautiful Mind on you, but according to my calculations..." she says.

"Yes, Mr. Nash, but you are forgetting about the first-pancake phenomenon" Victoria points out. "Eh?" Lorelai says confused. "Yes the first pancake-you know you always throw it out. What if people start decorating their onesies and they hate what they do, so they want to start over and we don't have enough onesies because we only estimated one each?" Victoria explains.

"Why do you throw out the first pancake?" Lorelai asks.

"I don't know" Victoria shrugs. "The griddle's too hot. It gets burned" Rory tells them.

"Oh, my god" Lorelai gasps. "Next year, no excuses. We are making you that audition tape for Top Chef" she insists. "This is pretty basic stuff" Rory says.

"Do you do it with hamburgers and waffles, too?" Lorelai asks.

"No, it's pancake-specific" Rory answers. "Oh, my goodness. Well, that's good news, because onesies are the exact opposite of pancakes" Lorelai says.

"They're totally impossible to screw up. You can slap anything on a onesie and it looks cute" she tells her daughters. "Anything?" Victoria asks. "Yeah. Alligator, fried egg, tools-these are not generally considered cute items" Lorelai lists.

"I'll take the adorable Phillips-head-not something you hear normally" Rory agrees.

"But you put that on a little onesie..." Lorelai talks in a high voice. "You're right, it's pretty damn cute" Victoria gives in.

"So cute. All right, we got streamers and balloons, and the cake's in the fridge" Lorelai starts thinking about what she still has to do. "The chairs are getting delivered later. All we have to do now is go home and decorate" she says. "But did we agree on one table for presents or two?" Rory asks.

"One" Victoria answers.

"Well, don't you think two would be better?" Rory asks. "One is fine" Lorelai tells her.

"Okay. But I'm not going for fine, you know?" Rory says. "Lane's shower cannot be fine. I want it to be great" she insists. "It will be" Victoria assures her.

"Yeah but how do you know?" Rory asks.

"We don't have the best track record. Lane's bachelorette party, we ended up in Brian's Aunt's basement" she reminds them as her cell phone rings. "Well, it was your first pancake" Lorelai points out.

"Hmm. Hold on" Rory says. "Hello? Yes, this is Rory" she answers the phone. "Um..." Rory says before mouthing "New York Times".

"Hi. Um, thank you for calling me back" she says excited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At Lane's baby shower Tristan's holding Jamie while Victoria puts food on their plates.

"How come we never got to have one of these?" Tristan asks looking around. "One of what?" Victoria asks him.

"A baby shower" Tristan clarifies. "Well...once I got far along enough for a baby shower we weren't exactly on speaking terms, and then the moment we were you ran out and bought everything so at that point we didn't need one" Victoria reminds him. "Right" Tristan says quietly.

"Yeah" Victoria nods.

"Have I apologized again yet recently?" Tristan asks. "It's been a while since the last one" Victoria replies.