008, Explore.

"Do you like the sand?" Imala asked Neteyam, stopping to pat the ground with her feet

"Do you like the sand?" Imala asked Neteyam, stopping to pat the ground with her feet. She found it amusing to see the sand sink, and then bounce back up again.

Neteyam didn't know what to say. Imala was happy to move away from the forest because she didn't have much of a good life there, there was too many bad memories for her not to enjoy leaving.

However, for him, his whole life was there. His father was Olo'eyktan which meant Neteyam was next in line. Neteyam was worshipped in the forest, he was a mighty warrior. His had a great life in the upcoming future, one that had suddenly been ripped away because of the Sky People — those demons.

Neteyam didn't want to like Awa'atlu, but he couldn't disagree that seeing Imala happy in the place, made him happy.

"I like it. It isn't home but it's nice," Neteyam responded before Imala nodded her head and dipped her feet into the cold water, gasping once feeling the sensation.

Imala sat on the ground, looking through the sand to find small shells. "Are you nervous still?" Neteyam questioned before kneeling down besides her.

She snapped her confused features to his close face, Neteyam holding his palm out so she could place her collection into his hand.

"What do you mean?" Imala asked.

Neteyam's eyes flicked to her skirt: "You only wear one when you're cold, or nervous. It's quite warm here."

She dropped her head before searching for more trinkets, trying to hide her smile from Neteyam. Imala couldn't believe he even noticed the small details like that, those details even she hadn't recognised. "I do? I never noticed," Imala replied before standing and taking off her skirt, knowing it was wet from the water.

Neteyam offered to hold the skirt, tying it into a small bag to hold the shells. "Oh, thank you," Imala said before continuing to walk deeper into Awa'atlu.

"I can't wait to make friends, I never really had friends back home," Imala told Neteyam, not noticing his ears flicking down against his head. "Tsireya is nice, sweet. I think I'd like to be friends with her," Imala rambled before Neteyam nodded his head — he couldn't say the same, the younger Metkayina boys seemed unwelcoming.

Imala smiled to herself.

"Isn't the feast soon? We should be going back," Neteyam said, gently taking Imala's arm so she wouldn't walk any further.

Her head nodded, walking with her arm looped into Neteyam's.

As they reached closer into the village, the pungent scent of fish and fruits filled their nostrils. It made Imala's stomach rumble as she hadn't eaten in so many hours due to travel.

All the youngsters sat one side, whereas the adults sat on the side of the beach. Neteyam pulled Imala towards the other Sully's, gently sitting her down before Tsireya offered them a plateful of food.

Imala took it: "Oh, my Eywa. Thank you. I need this."

Tsireya smiled before nodding her head back, giving Neteyam his food. "After eating, you must sleep everyday so you have plenty of energy for tomorrows training," Tsireya reminded them all, watching as the Sully's and Imala scoffed down their dinner.

She couldn't help but chuckle to herself, realising how long they've been travelling to find safety.

"So, syulang (flower), do you have something going on with—" Ao'nung neglected to remember Neteyam's name, clicking his fingers towards him, "Neteyam?"

Imala swallowed her food harshly as she looked over towards Neteyam. He was cutting up Tuk's food, helping her eat, making Imala's chest feel warm.

"No, why do you ask?" That reply sent chills through Imala's body. Sure, Imala and Neteyam were close. They always had been, since the crack of their childhood, but Imala had never suspected Neteyam to like her like that.

How could he? He was a mighty warrior, the next Olo'eyktan. Imala was a simple teenager, nothing more. The only skills she had were healing, and that isn't much use.

Ao'nung smiled to himself, capturing the eyes of a frustrated Neteyam after ignoring Imala's question.