Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Today is one of those days I look forward to at school. I've got music.

Believe it or not... It's one of those things that has helped me through things when nothing else seems to have worked.

I decide to make an effort today, and contemplate asking prim to help me get an outfit again.

I hesitate, and as I'm about to go into her room, she opens her door, rubs her eyes, and smiles at me.

She pushes me back into my room, sits me down on my bed, and gets to finding me something. I smile to myself, knowing I have somebody like Prim makes my life worth it. I've always known about that special sister bond... But ours is stronger than that. Since dad died... We've been each other's everything.

I stare at her, noticing how grown up she is. I remember when she was just a cute little baby...but now she's a beautiful young lady. It makes me proud, I guess, to see her like this. It still amazes me how... How perfect she is, considering the things she's been through.

After several minutes of rummaging through my wardrobe, she emerges, holding a pile of stuff. She puts it on my bed, pats my hair, and tells me to get dressed. I kiss her on her forehead and she smiles as she walks back to her own room.

When she leaves I look back to my bed, trying to figure out what she's chosen. I know it probably seems pathetic that my little sister is choosing my clothes, but she's always been better at that sort of thing...

I notice a blue coloured material, and I don't remember ever seeing it before.... Hmm...

When I pick it up, I realise what it is.

It's this dress I bought a couple of months ago... I went shopping with prim for her birthday, and she saw it. I tried it on and she practically forced me to buy it... I guess it was pretty cute...

I put on the royal blue dress, and admire it's simplicity. I then put on my light denim jacket, with its sleeves rolled, making it three quarters. It's such a simple outfit, but it looks ok, so I'm pleased. I then grab my black flats, and a white shoulder bag, making sure I've got my phone, keys and money.

I make my way downstairs, and see prim sitting patiently. When she looks at me she smiles, then looks at my hair, still in its braid. She gives me puppy dog eyes, so I quickly fumble with the bobble, setting my hair free to flow over my shoulders. She nods with approval, and I chuckle.

I shout goodbye to Mom, and I make my way to the door, following Prim.

When we get outside I get my phone out, about to call gale. But his face appears behind the tree before I even find his name. He stands still for a minute, looking at me. I blush and wave at him. Then he runs over and engulfs prim in a bear hug. I notice Rory tagging along behind him and I smile at him. He returns it but seems shy. The second prim notices him... Her cheeks turn bright red... Oh my god! Prim likes Rory? Awwwww!

I wiggle my eyebrows at gale, and he chuckles.

The four of us begin walking to school, with the two younger ones trying to stand as far apart as possible. I notice prim looking slightly sad, but let it go, realising she would've told me if something was up.

On the way to school, gale makes a comment that I can't help but grin at, "It's good to have you back catnip."

After that we walk in a practically unbroken silence, but it only takes about two minutes from then.

We get to the school entrance quickly, and we part with our siblings, me and gale heading towards music. I was surprised at first when I heard that gale had chosen music... But it turns out... He's actually pretty talented!

Our music class consists of me, Gale, Finnick, Annie and 15 other kids. Oh... Peeta used to be in this class too... But I'm trying to forget that. It would be good if the other guys were with us too... but Clove, marvel and Cato are into drama, and glimmer and Madge take dance. I guess it's good that none of us are on our own though.

We walk in and go straight to the seats by Annie and Finnick. They smile at us, and Finn gives me his 'seductive' wink. I don't know how Annie puts up with it constantly... She must love him... a lot!

We sit and talk for a couple of minutes, then our teacher Mr Abernathy walks in. I still don't know why he teaches music... He can't sing for the life of him. Oh well, he's hilarious.

He always used to hate me, always calling me stubborn... Well, he's starting to warm to me now. It's only taken 4 years.

"So class, today's a good day! I have two announcements." He eyes us all, making sure we're paying attention. When he knows we're all engaged in his news, he continues.

"Today, we have two new students joining our class!" I notice two figures sitting in the front row of seats. He signals for them to stand up.

"This is Johanna Mason," he points to a tallish girl who seems to be quite cool. She has almost black hair, with streaks of red highlighting it.

" and this, is Thresh McJay." He points to a dark skinned boy who looks to be in his twenties.

They both give a shy kind of wave to us, and I smile at them. I seem to catch Johanna's eye, and she smiles back at me.

"The second thing, is.... YOU GET THE WHOLE DAY OFF YOUR SCHEDULE!" Wow somebodys excited.

Wait... What? We have music all day? YES!

As soon as he finishes, he walks off, and Finnick shouts over to the new guys. They look up at us, and approach nervously. We introduce ourselves, and settle into an easy conversation fairly quickly.

After a while, we decide to get to the task at hand. My Abernathy looks at me, and waves towards him. Confused, I make my way towards him.

"Katniss, I'm sorry to hear about Peeta, but you have to use this to your advantage, ok? I want everybody to perform an emotive piece, and goodness knows, you've got enough emotion inside of you right now." He smiles sympathetically, and just as I'm about to walk off, he adds,

"we're all here for you."

~*~*~*~*~

I cannot apologise enough right now... I am sooooo sorry for not updating in ages. No excuses.

Hope you all liked me chapter ;) and finally the squad is complete xD

Keep voting, commenting, and being fabulous!

Yours always,

Emma

*~*~*~*~*