Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Beep beep beep

I wake up to the familiar sound of my alarm clock. I forgot how annoying it was whilst I was off on school holidays.
I turn towards it quickly and turn it off. I check the time and see it is 08:00. I have half an hour to get ready before I have to meet Gale.
I jump out of my bed and run towards Prims room, which is right next to mine, and just as I am about to knock to wake her up, her door opens and she stands in front of me, already dressed.
We have rules for our clothes as to what we wear, but to be honest, they're not that strict with it. Prim is wearing a blue floral print skirt with a white tank top, and a pale pink cardigan with white flats. She looks really pretty.
"Hey Little Duck! You look beautiful!" She blushes at my compliment, bless her...
"Ready for your first day at high school?" I know she has been freaking out from stress and excitement. I mean, it's her first day at high school. She would have been in the year above if her birthday were two weeks earlier, because she is eleven right now, and that's when you start year 7, at high school. I remember when I started high school...
That was a year after I met Gale, and he was the only friend I had. I was so grateful that we were in the same classes, else I would've died from loneliness I swear.
"Yeah I guess. Are you still giving me a lift?" Why she asked me I don't know, because I'm not just gonna abandon her am I?
"Of course I am! Just let me get ready, I'll be about 15 minutes." As I turned back towards my room, I felt a small hand grab my arm. I turned around to face a hesitant looking Prim.
"Umm, Kat?" She looks so sweet right now.
"Yes Primmy?" I say this as though I'm talking to a baby and she starts giggling.
"Can I do your makeup?" Wow. I don't know why she is asking that, I hardly ever wear any! I think she is up to something, but just shrug it off.
"Sure Prim. But I'm not going looking like a slag, ok?" She giggles once again and nods enthusiastically.
I quickly run in the bathroom and do my stuff. Then I head back to my room, to find an outfit laid out on my bed. I know Prim has set this out for me. At first I am hesitant, but then I decide to go with it. She has put me a red puffy blouse, with my black leggings, white cardigan, and brown uggs.
I put the clothes on, and then stare at myself in the mirror. I don't actually look too bad. It shows off all of my curves, but I am still covered up well.
I can't help but think about Peeta Mellark, my crush since nursery. What would he think of me?
The next thing I know, I am sat down on my bed with Prim doing my makeup. When she finally announces that she is done she moves onto my hair. I want her to keep it in my braid, but she leaves it loose over my shoulders.
I look back in the mirror, and am shocked.
The makeup has highlighted my eyes and mouth, and my hair has framed my face in such a way, that I actually look... Well, pretty.
"Prim! Thank you!" I see her blush and then she shakes her head.
"It's fine. You look beautiful" says Prim in a hushed voice.
"And nothing like myself" I say and hug her.
"Katniss. Stop being so hard on yourself, you are always beautiful!" I can't help but snort, because I am many things, and beautiful is not one of those things.
I let it slip because there is no arguing with Prim. We head downstairs after I grab my bag with my phone, purse, makeup and books.
At exactly 08:30 there is a faint knock on my door. I know instantly who it is, and rush to the door before he knocks any louder, waking mom up.
"Hey Catn-...wow..." He finally looks up at me, and is utterly speechless.
"Is that a good wow?" I have to ask him, because I always feel conscious.
"It is definitely a good wow! You look stunning." I blush at my best friends compliment, and whack his arm playfully.
"Come on Gale. Enough with the compliments, let's get into my car."
After ten minutes, we are all in the car and have started a general conversation. I am driving, and Prim is in the back with Gale. It still amazes me how well they get along. I mean, our families have known each other for ages now, ever since the accident... We are both in year 12 now, I am 16 and Gale is 17 in nearly a month. We are so close, and I would have no hesitation to call him my best friend...
"Hey. Catnip?" Obviously Gale asks me this.
"Yes Gale?" I really need to think of a nick name for him...
"You know Madge?" She is a really attractive girl, that somehow ended up in our group.
"Yeah." I don't know where he's going with this...
"Well... Is she actually our friend?" This is a question I have always wondered, because she has always been with us, but we never really said we were friends.
"I guess. I hope she thinks we are..." Because she is a really nice girl, and I wouldn't mind in the slightest to be called her friend.
He mutters a word that I could assume as 'good', and before we know it, I am pulling into the car park outside school.
"Prim, do you want me to come with you? We need to get our timetables as well." She nods but doesn't speak, she stopped about 10 minutes ago. I guess she's really nervous now again.
All three of us head out of the car towards the reception, and we just have time, because our first lesson starts at 09:00.
I link arms with Prim and we come to a big crowd of people. Great, I think to myself. We have to walk through them , and then I will be noticed. As I reach the start of the crowd blocking the entrance, I see some really muscled boys. Not that I fancy them, in fact, they irritate me, thinking they own the school and can get any girl they want.
As I walk past them I hear a loud group of them whistle at me. I roll my eyes and keep walking. As I am about half way through I get slowed down by another group, only I recognise some of them. The popular group. I know who is in it; Clove Mace, Cato Pierce, Glimmer Bow, Annie Cresta, Finnick Odair, Marvel Claws, Thresh MacJay and finally, the one and only, Peeta Mellark. They are all in year 12 as well... You would think, that being the popular group would make them stuck up and arrogant, but, they actually seem quite nice from what I've heard and seen for myself...
As I approach them, I sense endless pairs of eyes on me.
Then, I hear a whisper.
"Is she new?" It comes from one of them, but I'm not sure who.
Then I hear a reply, and his voice is some what recognisable.
"Dude, she's been here with us since nursery." I know that voice. Peeta Mellark, the smooth talking boy who captured my heart.
"No way. I would remember someone like that." It's the same voice from before, then Peeta speaks again.
"Oh my-.... Just stop! You wouldn't like to be stared at would you?" They go silent after he says this, and I think back. His voice sounded as though it were hiding something... Jealousy? No, why would he? He wouldn't like a stupid girl like me... Nobody would...
But... Then... He said he remembered me... Since nursery. That has to be a good sign doesn't it? Popular kids don't tend to remember kids like me. Until now... Oh well, maybe it's nothing...
I just hope... in the future, I come across Peeta Mellark again.
Who knows? It's high school, and everybody knows, it is the one place that ANYTHING can happen...