Threads

Webbing gently floats in the smooth breeze. Light seeps in through the wooden cracks of the dingy walls. The golden hue of the webs reveals itself under the warm light. There it flows gently, calm and gleaming when a broom brushes it all away. The store manager groans at the work he has to do.

"Damn spiders! I'm telling you they are everywhere recently."

The clerk skims the page of her magazine. "Sure boss, sure." She isn't paying which annoys the manager.

Another man looks over an aisle. He seems nervous, shaking, and breathing heavily. The store clerk lifts her gaze noticing him. They make eye contact. The man panics and then burst into a sprint escaping the store. The clerk walks where the man stood and discovers a good chuck of pills and medicine are gone.

"Shit! Boss calls the guards!"

Up in the ceiling beams, a tiny cloak figure stands up straight.

The man runs through the crowd. Pushing and shoving anyone in his path. He enters an alleyway where his friends were waiting.

"I got it. I got the-"

"Where the hell were you? We need to move."

"What? Why?"

"Dude," His friend gets closer and whispers. "The Academy captured the Hokage."

"What?! How?"

"I don't know. And that's not all. The Headmaster is in critical condition. The village is moving. Like now."

"Shit. What are we doing standing here? Let's move."

Unseen to them a figure darts from one side to another leaving a thin thread in their path. They run and immediately trip on this line.

"What the hell?"

The robber looks up and identifies the perpetrator. A small mouse in a coarse coat. It furls its coat open revealing modest clothing underneath. On its capable hand is a fishhook shape weapon and on the end is a flowing string. Brilliant orange in color and floating on its own.

"Wh- what? Who summoned you?"

The mouse sprints forward at breakneck speeds, instantly slicing the throats of both. As the mouse skidded over the ground, both fell lifeless. He first scans his work before turning to the thief's pocket. A little spider emerges and gives the rogue an obnoxious gaze.

"How dare you interrupt my work!"

The mouse speaks up. "You bend the conditions given by Lord Rigel. I'm merely doing my task. You should be doing the same."

"I am. The best way to gather information is to be right under their nose."

"Lord Rigel told us not to interact with humans in any capacity."

"Your such a joy kill, you know that? Toying with these foolish creatures is a bonus to the job." The Spider points at the robber's corpse. "A few bites here and there and it drove this man to desperation. Stealing just because I've given him a few illnesses. Studying how they squirm is such fun."

"Are you saying you're openly defining the First Horsemen?"

The spider panics. "N-no! I'm simply conducting an experiment. The Lord would approve."

"Then you wouldn't mind if I send a report to him?"

The spider is flabbergasted. "I challenge your bluff! If we spiders can't reach him directly then you mice certainly can't either."

The mouse suddenly stares in another direction, his ears perked up.

"Don't ignore me." The spider shouts.