Chapter 37 - Dejected Pain

John's PoV

I slowly started to wake up as I immediately felt someone hugging me by the sides. I turned to my side as I see Kaguya hugging me.

Kaguya: "You finally woke up John! The others told me what happened last night! I was really worried about you!"

I looked away, unable to have the will to talk to Kaguya. Remembering what happened last night with Yuzuru.

Third Person View

Kaguya: "John? What's wrong?"

John: "I don't deserve to talk to you... I'm sorry..."

Reine: "Kaguya, he went through a lot last night. He just needs some time alone."

Kaguya: "I can't just leave especially since this is the first time seeing John like this!"

Shido: "She's right Kaguya, he just needed some time alone..."

Kaguya: "No! I'm not leaving him alone!"

Reine: "Shin, please help me move her out of the room."

Shido: "Okay..."

Shido then grabbed Kaguya by one arm as Reine does with the other before dragging Kaguya out of the infirmary leaving the young man alone. After a moment of silence, the former sniper then silently broke down in tears lamenting at his failure to protect the person he loved.

Johns PoV

I don't know how long I've been here for. A couple minutes? A couple hours maybe? I slowly got up from the bed before walking out of the infirmary. Walking until I eventually reached the main control room in Fraxinus. There, everyone then turned their attention to me as Kaguya immediately embraced me into a hug. I hugged her back without saying anything.

Shido: "Are you okay now John?"

I slowly nodded my head.

Kotori: "Anyways, back to what I'm saying. As you may know. Natsumi is currently impersonating one of the people in this pictures she provided. The thing is, we have yet to identify who."

Shido: "I know Yoshino is not one of them since I was with her yesterday. She wasn't showing any signs of unusual behaviors at all. The same goes for Tohka and Yu- "her."

Kotori: "Every night, Natsumi will come and ask you who she is impersonating as. Failure to guess correctly will result in one of the people on the pictures to disappear."

Shido: "I won't let anyone else disappear. I'm going to do my best to prevent this from happening."

I only looked at Shido with a worried expression, if he were to fail to guess the correct answer, there is also a chance Miku or Kaguya will disappear next.

Kotori: "So far, we only know three people Natsumi is not impersonating as since both you and John confirmed it. So for now, continue to take the others on a date and see if you can find any signs of unusual behaviors that may be out of their characters. Myself included."

Shido: "Got it."

Kotori: "Also you might want to see this Shido."

Kotori then shows a surveillance footage of my room as I raised my eyebrows.

John: "...Why is there a hidden camera in my room?"

Kotori: "Just in case anything happens to you. If something does happen, we would at least have some footage clues to help us."

John: "Ever heard of personal privacy?"

Kyouhei: "If it helps, there's also one installed in both Shido and the commander's room too."