XIII

Maybe I shouldn't have told him that. Did I break him? she thought while passing her hand before Teivel's eyes. The lad was like frozen and hadn't made any moves since she told him she liked him.

"Teivel? Are you okay?" She snapped before his face and finally gave him a little slap on his cheek which make him react. He took Nenlissë's hand in his and put a kiss on her knuckles.

"I'm sorry my darling.

-You are... sorry?" she said, her voice slightly trembling

-Yes." he nodded, "for not responding."

-Oh. Oh. Do you...?

-Like you? Yes. Obviously. I like you too Nenlissë."

She threw herself in his arms and hugged him for some long minutes while he stroked her back.

"Wasn't it obvious?" he asked, "I knew liked me, i thought you knew for me too...

-How would I know?

-Well... when an elf find his true love, we can felt it and make a sort of telepathic bond with each other.

-I don't think I can do that..." she said, looking at their hand and avoiding his gaze.

-Why?

-Because I'm not an elf Teivel.

-You are not... an elf?

-You didn't know?"

He shook his head before pulling back the strands of hair in front of Nenlissë's ears, running his fingers gently along the edges.

"I... thought it was a deformity. What are you then?

-Human, even if you've never seen them or met them... I'm not even sure if they were created...

-Human?" He recoiled as if the young woman was about to jump on him, "You are one of his second born?

-Yes..." she replied, embarrassed and with a wave of sadness across her face at the reaction of the elf she loved, "Is that a... problem?"

She could still see a bit of disgust in his eyes and it brought tears to her eyes. Why am I human? Why? she thought, cursing Eru again for not making her an elf when she came to this world or when she died. But Teivel, seeing the sadness and anger forming in his companion's eyes, let out a small smile before walking over to Nenlissë and taking her in his arms. His voice was full of tremolos that might suggest that he was also about to cry, but if someone was standing next to the young couple, they would have seen that a bright smile was drawn on his lips.

"My Lissë, I beg you, accept my apologies. I'm only a fool who doesn't deserve you.

-Oh Teivel... No, I'm the one who's sorry... I should have told you sooner..."

He felt a tear fall onto his jacket and hugged the young woman even tighter while placing two or three kisses in her hair. Nenlissë sniffed, took a deep breath, and revealed what was weighing on her heart.

"Do you still love me?"

This question made Teivel react, and he lifted Nenlissë from his chest and with both hands on her shoulders, coming down to her level.

"Of course I still love you Nenlissë. Who would I be to throw you away a few seconds after declaring my love?

-So... it doesn't bother you that I'm human?

-I was just surprised... if you'd told me sooner...

-I'm sorry, I...

-It's all right sweet thing, I'm sure we can find a way to have a relationship even if... you're missing a few things."