XIV

Morgoth knew something had happened. He knew. The bond, maybe weakened by the mistrust that had formed between them, had completely disappeared. He tried to reach her with his mind. Once. Twice. Nothing.

Finally, he dismissed his servant and got up from his seat, walking straight back to the room his wife was staying. Something was wrong. Very wrong.

He knocked at the door. "Lissë? Open the door." No reply "Nenlissë? Is there a problem? Listen. I'm sorry for earlier. Just open." Again, no reply. He let out a groan of frustration before opening the door, his gaze searching for the frame of his wife. He stepped in the room, calling for her again. "Nenlissë?" And then. Then he saw. The tub. He hurried to the bathtub where his wife was laying, numb, not moving. He cursed before posing his hand on her neck, searching for a pulse, for something.

"What have you done!" He hissed at the corpse before closing his eyes shut and rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Foolish girl. Why did you have to... To do this!"

He stared at the lifeless body before picking it up from the water and posing it on the bed. "Was staying here such a problem that you had to end your life, Lissë?" He asked before brushing a hand in her wet hair. "Idiot."

"You really are stubborn" A voice said, making Lissë open her eyes. She was back to the void where she had met Eru the first time. The human looked at the God before smiling.

"Maybe I am. But... it seemed like the best thing to do at the moment."

They just huffed before asking "Do you regret it?"

"No" The reply was quick and sincere. "It gave me the freedom I ever wanted. I do wish that things could have been different. But they weren't. I guess... That it is the only freedom I could have in this life."

The God just nodded before posing a hand to her shoulder "What now, young soul?

-Don't you have a path written for me?

-I think I manipulated your life enough. Tell me what you desire."

The young human contemplated her options for a moment. Should she go back to her world? Ask for another chance in Arda?

Minutes passed until she made her decision, Nenlissë looked into the infinite eyes of the God.

"Rest"

— END —