Promise

Finally finished my high school which is kinda sad tbh:'. Anyways idk but hope i can post at least once every two weeks starting today. That aside, hope you enjoy the fic!
Warning: Break up, Shin almost got kidnapped, Kai to the rescue, crying Shin again

----------

It was early in the morning when Shinichi woke up. He sat up and stared at the empty space beside him for a moment. While doing so, he wondered if he should go back to sleep. Afterall, Megure had given him an extra day off again. Plus, no one would break into his house and ask him to make breakfast anymore.

He lied down again and tried to sleep. But, not long after he had closed his eyes, Shinichi sighed, knowing full well he could not sleep again. He stood up, stretched his body and went to go to the bathroom.

"Idiot. You need to move on", he whispered while standing in front of the mirror.

He looked at his puffy eyes and smiled a little. Immersing himself in the bathtub, he then played with the water mixed with soap for a while. He let his mind play a scene inside his head. The scene which had happened last week, when he had broken up with Kai- no... Kuroba.

.

Today, they were supposed to have dinner together at a grand restaurant which was booked by Kaito. Shinichi was always late when they planned to have dinner together. So, Shinichi had tried his best to solve the cases as quickly as possible, but to no avail, someone decided to push his friend from a tall building while on his way to the restaurant. Of course, being the witness, Shinichi could not let that go.

He had texted Kaito that he would be late, but he had not expected he would be an hour late. He cursed when he saw the time and ran to the restaurant once he bid goodbye to the inspector.

Catching his breath once he arrived, he stood up straight, just to meet Kaito outside of the restaurant. That surprised him. Kaito looked at him with tired eyes and Shinichi felt his heart clench at the sight.

"Kai–"

He stopped when Kaito shook his head. Kaito looked down to the ground after that.

"I'm tired. Let's end this", were the only words Kaito said before he turned his back and left Shinichi alone. If it wasn't for the rain, Shinichi would have stood in front of the restaurant until morning.

.

Since that time, he hadn't talked to Kuroba anymore.

Shiho was the one who had noticed the change first. That was expected though, since she was his neighbor. She knew how often Kuroba had come to his house. When she had asked about Kuroba, he had said that the magician was busy with his show. Shiho, of course, had not bought that, but he was glad she had not pushed him to tell the truth.

Walking around the town right now, Shinichi let out a frustrated sound. He could not help but remember how Kuroba would hold his hand and joke every single moment when they were together. He also could hear the laugh and saw the grin he had fallen in love with. Feeling the sadness inside his heart again, he quickly shook his head and took a deep breath.

He continued his walk after that, until he felt his legs tire.

.

Once he arrived back at his home gate, he could not help but be grateful. For once, no one had dropped dead along his walk! He pulled out his key and tried to open his gate while humming a little.

"Are you Kudou Shinichi?"

Shinichi stopped. He hadn't noticed someone was near him. He probably had his mind more distracted than he initially thought.