Rejecting

Hi everyone! How are you? I just finished my first exam in uni on last wednesday heheVvV/
Anyhow here a fic to celebrate my freedom woohoo Well until sunday though. On monday, we're going to be busy again urghhhh
Warning: Shinichi is sad, Shiho is the best listener, Kaito just want Shinichi

.

They were having lunch together in their university cafeteria when Kaito suddenly started a conversation.

"Someone asked me out."

Shinichi tried his best to not be startled at that. Instead, he tightened his grip on his chopstick and grinned teasingly at Kaito.

"Oh? Again? You sure are popular. Who was it this time?"

Shinichi watched Kaito frown at him but his smile never faltered.

"Fujiwara Mirai."

Shinichi whistled. He put down his chopstick and put his chin on both his palms. Shinichi asked, "Isn't she one of the prettiest girls here? You're lucky, you know that. Did you accept it then?"

"You know that I will not accept anyone except you," Kaito scowled at him. Shinichi blinked while his friend, his stomach suddenly felt bad at that thought, stabbing his food. He released a sigh.

"How many times should I tell you, Kaito? I already said I don't like you and that's the truth."

"You're lying," Shinichi moved slightly away when Kaito glared at him.

He continued though, "You're the one who doesn't believe me. Anyhow, she's clever, kind, bright and pretty," unlike him who was always gloomy and met corpses, "You and her will be a cute pair, you know."

"We won't," Shinichi heard Kaito whisper. Shinichi shook his head before saying, "You should go find your own happiness, Kaito. So, please, don't chase after me anymore."

Shinichi stood up and walked away with his tray, leaving Kaito alone. He walked and walked, far from the cafe. Once he was sure no one was around, he sat against a wall and buried his face in his knees.

"This is for the best," he mumbled to remind himself of the reason he was going through all this pain.

.

The next night , Kaito texted him that he finally accepted Fujiwara as his girlfriend. Shinichi didn't know if he should cry or laugh at the fact.

He congratulated Kaito nonetheless.

.

"I thought you went to that new cafe with Kuroba?" Shinichi looked at the person who questioned him right after he entered Agasa's house. He ignored the question though and went to sit on the chair, in front of Shiho who was glaring at him.

"Where is Kuroba, Shinichi?" Shiho asked him again with a quite dark tone.

"He.. forgot he had a date with his... girlfriend. Fujiwara-san reminded him after class..."

"And he left you?" Shinichi nodded and took the cup which was filled with coffee from Shiho. She asked again, "Yet, he said nothing to her?" And again, Shinichi nodded. He took a sip of the coffee.

Shinichi didn't startle when Shiho suddenly hit the table and shouted at him.

"You- why do you always try to let go of the person you love so much?! First your parents, then Ran-san, now Kuroba-kun?! Why do you need to hurt yourself?! Why can't you be selfish sometimes, Shinichi?!"

The clatter sound of her cup filled up the silence. Shinichi bit his lips before speaking softly, "I am selfish. It's because I'm selfish that I did that."