Lean on Me (2)

I'm sorry that somehow my oneshots are becoming longer and longer TwT Idk why tbh but but I hope everyone like this one even if it's 2.7k words :'
Oh I try to write in another style btw kkskskskks

.

After that embarrassing crying moment, Kaito had gone back home with his hang glider and a lighter heart. He had gone to sleep after that and had planned to continue until noon since it had been Sunday and no class. Thus, he hadn't expected to hear someone shouting at him at 10 am, saying he had slept enough, because no one lived inside his rented apartment except him alone that time.

Kaito still wondered how Kudou Shinichi knew where it was located though.

Anyways, he hadn't expected the detective would break into his apartment and cook for him after that day and every single day onwards. He hadn't expected the detective to barge into his life and stick with him like glue.

At first, it had been annoying actually how Kudou always motherhen him and plan how his day would go. Everytime after classes, he would drag Kaito anywhere and not leave him alone.

And yes, Kaito had seen the detective a lot of times in the university but never made a move before because for what? To get captured? Pft as if.

He would also come at night to ensure Kaito had been sleeping properly and all. And that had made Kaito worry. But, the detective had said that he had just rented an apartment beside Kaito's. Kaito, from there, had known the detective would never leave his side no matter what happened because he wanted Kaito to lean on him, or that was what Kudou had said.

So, Kaito had tried to get a hang of it and he now, surprisingly, was thankful for the company because Kaito found himself smiling more genuine and being healthier than before. Kaito also noticed how close he became with the detective and started to learn... How warm the other was.

Such as, how the other liked to play with the kids or how the other made sure Kaito was okay after every single case they had stumbled into. How the other protected everyone, even the criminals, without thinking about his safety or how the other woke up and came to his rented apartment to hear Kaito's problem at night when he had nightmares. How the other gave sadistic comments when he was worried or how the other cracked Kaito's mask to ensure Kaito that there was nothing to hide from him. How the other gave a small smile and stifled a laugh countless of times or how the other held Kaito's hand and supported him when he was feeling too much.

And aside from all of those things, Kaito also learned how unlucky to be Kudou Shinichi.

REASON

It hadn't been that long after they had met when he asked Kudou a question.

"Hey, Kudou."

Kudou hummed and turned his attention from his book to Kaito who was shuffling his card. Kaito looked at Kudou and somehow felt unsure if he should ask the other about this thing. Thus, he slowly said, "I keep noticing that you always stare at our soccer team when they are practicing. There's also time you just sit at the bench when the kids are playing. Not mentioning how we always take a rest after a long walk."

The flinch Kudou made didn't go unnoticed by Kaito. Kaito squinted his eyes before questioning, "Do you... somehow have problems with your legs."

Silence. Everything went silent. They stared at each other despite Kaito's hand kept shuffling the card. Then, a sigh from Kudou broke it.

"Of course you would notice."

Kaito waited patiently for the others to continue.

"During the takedown, Gin shot me on my right kneecap," was the only explanation he gave Kaito before going back to his reading. And that explained everything, even the reason why he had not been chasing after Kaito during his night work anymore.