A woe on my plate

Ajax's Pov:

I can't stay in my dorm. I just can't. I tried so hard but I'm so fucking scared. I'm so scared and I have no fucking clue what to do. Enid is the only person I trust right now. I can't guarantee she'll know what to do but anything is better than staying in my dorm right now. So i give her door two sharp knocks and wait.

"Ajax?"

"Hey Enid, is it cool if I talk to you for a bit?"

"Yeah, I haven't seen you all day!"

She stands at the door presumably waiting for me to get inside. I notice that her face is slightly flushed and she's breathing quite heavily.

"Uh- I meant outside of the dorm."

"Hold on, just give me a sec."

"Oka-"

She slams the door shut in my face. I hear some mumbling from inside, most likely her having a conversation with Wednesday or something. Before I could even think of wondering, Enid steps out of the dorm with her white coat on. I look at her fully. I look at that black spaghetti crop top that she's wearing, paired with some white sweatpants with pink embroidery near to the bottom. She's also wearing black sliders. God she looks pretty.

"Sorry about that- Wednesday and I were just... well we were uhm... watching a movie..."

I notice her start to zone out, looking at the wall behind me whilst still breathing heavily.

"Enid!"

"Hm? Yeah, hi Ajax. What's up?"

She licks her lips and looks into my eyes, trying hard to stay focused.

"I didn't... walk in on anything, did I?"

Her eyes instantly fill with worry.

"Oh no you didn't! Well... something was about to happen but you walked in at just the right time!"

She nervously chuckles.

"You and... Wednesday?" I say, whispering Wednesday's name.

She softly smiles and looks away before replying,

"Yeah... but like I don't like her or anything I just, you know..." She carries on, babbling incoherent words.

I should probably be upset by the fact that Enid has managed to move on so quickly, especially considering that we only broke up four days ago, but I'm not. Well I am, but not really. I know that I can't give Enid what she needs in a relationship. I know my chances of ever being a good boyfriend have been ruined, maybe for the rest of my life. So I'm happy that I'm not hurting Enid too much in the process, as least I hope so. What happened in the summer had nothing to do with her, she shouldn't have to feel as bad as I do now. Who knows, maybe I can grow to be happy for her. Fake it till you make it, eh?

"Is it bad that I'm not at all shocked?"

I start to walk, Enid gets the hint and follows, catching up next to me.

"What! What do you mean you're not shocked? Wednesday is all dark and woeful and macabre and I'm... well the opposite!"

"Well I mean... You do kind of have a thing for that..."

She glares at me.

"A thing for what? Dark, blood-lusted, goth girls with not even a speck of pink in their wardrobe?"

Beat

"Yeah."

"What!"

She looks genuinely shocked. She's so cute.