Woeful birthday to you!

Esme's POV:

"Birthday beats!"

I wake up to feel my annoying brother Eugene punching me like a maniac. Honestly, are Sue and Janet sure he's not the adopted one?

"And eleven, and twelve, and-"

I use my hypnosis to stop him and put him in a semi-mindless trance before he can reach to fifteen. I'm surprised, he's had to deal with me for two months now and still can't dodge my power when necessary.

"...Let...me...go...loser..."

I snap him out of his trance and move before he can continue his punches, meaning that he ends up flopping onto my bed. He looks at me, pouting.

"Happy birthday, or whatever."

"Thank you."

If Eugene's idiot birthday beats tradition didn't infer anything, allow me to clarify. It's Sunday, the fifteenth day of the month. It is also my birthday. It's the first birthday I've had out of the orphanage, meaning that it's the first birthday I might actually like. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I even had people to celebrate my birthday with me, but I think I'd much rather a birthday where I can actually go outside and breathe fresh air.

"So, what are you planning on doing for your birthday?"

"Well. Firstly, I was going to redo my hair to something more appropriate for a celebrative day. I then need to get ready to head down to the hospital for my volunteer work. After, I will spend an hour practicing my dancing. I then hope to end the day with a nice novel and to fall asleep peacefully."

Silence

I am confused as to why the room has gone so silent. Am I not supposed to do this on my birthday? Is this going to be another cliche story where I get a huge surprise party planned for me that I just have to go to?

"Wow. You talk so formally. You're worse than Wednesday."

Oh. He was just stunned by my intellect. That's not surprising. Wednesday? I believe she's the smart goth that sits next to me in mathematics. I have yet to actually speak to her.

"You've told me about Wednesday. Has she returned to the Hummers? You said that she hadn't appeared for a while."

"Right, yeah. She showed up on Friday when you had taken your early night. She really wants to speak to you."

"Really?"

"No, but she did say your name once. And it was because I mentioned you."

I'm about to respond when Eugene's friend, Ajax walks into the room. He holds a chocolate cake with golden frosting on top and a sparkling candle. I find it to be very amusing, and adorable...

He then attempts to sing happy birthday to the best of his ability, so very badly.

"Happy birthday to you... you're fifteen, aren't you? I wanted to say one hundred and twoooo...... happy birthday to you!"

I can't help the smile that creeps up on my face. Something about that prideful smirk on his face and the birthday hat that's covering his snakes makes him look so charming.

"Eugene made me do this."

"Thank you, Ajax."

He places the cake infront of me so that I can blow out the candle. The two boys say in unison:

"Make a wish!"

I do so and blow out the candle. I then put the cake to the side and cover it so that I can enjoy it once I've brushed my teeth and don't look like a slob infront of Ajax.