Chapter 10

Isla

I wake up with a smile on my face, thinking about my evening hunt with Atlas. It had been a long time since I let my wolf loose like that. In a lot of other packs, an Omega running by herself at night would be frowned upon. But this pack is different, something I'm growing more and more grateful of. 

I force myself out of bed earlier than usual, since today is the first day of our new breakfast plan for the pups. I'm excited and also nervous to see what their reaction is. Atlas has been more then behind it, encouraging us to make changes even though it will cost the pack more money. He agrees healthier pups will learn better and grow up stronger, which is best for everyone. The real challenge was how to get the young ones excited about the new foods. 

That's where Ysabel really helped. 

I walk into the dining hall to see it already full of activity. The early risers are filling their plates and seem to be enjoying the new recipes. There are a few pups annoyed at having to eat fruit rather than cereal for breakfast, but once Ysabel puts it in yogurt and makes smiley face out of blueberries, they seem much more excited. 

"Hey, Ys." I say, walking up next to her. 

"Oh my gosh this is so exciting!" she squeals, throwing her arms around me in a warm embrace. I take a moment to savor it, the sounds of happy children bouncing off the walls. It's in that moment something clicks in my brain. 

This is home. 

My wolf feels it too and instantly feels settled in a way I've never experienced before. I take a deep breath, wondering what this means for my future just before I feel Atlas enter the room. I turn to see him standing near the doorway, shaking hands with a man and smiling but his eyes are searching they room. 

Until they stop on me. 

His smile widens, her shoulders relaxing when he sees me. I grin back as I let go of Ysabel. She says something to me before darting off, but I don't quite catch it. Instead I wander over to our Alpha, my heart pumping hard as he watches me like prey. 

"Good morning, little wolf." he murmurs when I'm close enough. Despite my internal protest, I can feel a light blush spread across my cheeks. 

"Good morning, Alpha. What do you think?" I ask, motioning towards the now overflowing dining hall. 

"I'm very impressed." he says, reaching out to tuck my hair behind my ear. His thumb lingers, grazing across my jaw and I marvel at how such a simple touch can make my entire body feel light and tingly. 

"You haven't even tried any of our new food options." I say and Atlas chuckles, looking me up and down. 

"There is one new thing I've been dying to get in my mouth." he murmurs again, low enough for anyone but me to hear. I fake gasp, feigning shock and give his arm a playful smack. 

"You are an Alpha. You should act as such." I say, trying to sound stern but I can barely hide my laughter. Atlas tips his head back to laugh, shaking it slightly as he looks back down at me. 

"I'm not sure what you mean, Isla. I was only referring to the pancakes. The new recipe smells delicious." he says before tucking his face into my neck and taking a breath. "Although I'm sure you taste even better." he whispers into my ear, making the hair on my neck stand as a shiver runs through me. The next moment he's gone and I turn to see him heading towards the food line, greeting pack members along the way. 

"The fuck was that about?" Ysabel asks so suddenly that she makes me jump. I was so lost in Atlas I didn't even see her come up next to me. 

"What?" I ask, trying to regain my senses. She giggles and gives me a knowing look.