Chapter 14

Atlas

It's better than I imagined. It really is. I've never been one to hold a woman in my arms, to take pleasure in feeling her skin against mine. I thought it was something that would likely come from being marked. Having an attachment has been said to bring out more feelings in otherwise stoic Alpha's. 

It turns out, I just wasn't doing it with the right person. 

"Stay here, little wolf." I murmur in her ear, pressing a kiss to the soft skin of her neck and taking in another smell of her. She's always smelled good, but Isla during her heat is intoxicating. 

"Where are you going?" she asks, a tint of concern to her voice. Like she thinks I'm leaving her here by herself. 

"Just to make you some breakfast. Try to relax for me, sweetheart." I say, pushing up out of bed. I consider putting on underwear, then remember it's in shreds downstairs. I chuckle to myself and look over at Isla who is watching my thought process. 

"Not like I haven't seen it anyway." she says coyly, her eyes dropping to my cock before she meets my eyes again. I chuckle and kiss her forehead before leaving the room, trying to avoid going another round with her. 

I don't know if I could stop my wolf from marking her a second time. 

I mind link Arlo to drop me some clothes here and get to work in the kitchen, being careful not to burn my dick on the stove. I can sense Arlo when he gets close and my wolf snarls in my mind, already feeling protective of Isla in her heat. Usually, when an attached Omega is in heat, no one would come close to the Alpha's house for the few days she is incapacitated. Most Alpha's wouldn't leave their Omega's during heat, except in case of emergency. 

But some Alpha's are assholes. 

I'm guessing Isla assumed I was leaving because that's what she's been exposed to, but I couldn't be more different. I plan to stay here for as long as Isla needs me. Taking care of her and showing her that it can be good. An attachment can be safe. That she's worthy of being loved. 

I slip on the pants that Arlo left by the front door and finish plating up her food. I ate a little as I cooked, but getting back to her is the priority right now so I ignore my rumbling stomach. I hurry back up the stairs and into the room where she's laying in the bed, her arm resting outside of the blanket and her head still resting on the pillow. She smiles when she sees me and sits up in bed until the blanket starts to fall. She grabs it quickly and pulls it to rest against her chest in an incredibly tantalizing way that makes me want to snatch it away from her. 

Instead, I place the tray of food across her lap and watch as she inspects it, her smile widening as she looks up at me again. 

"You made all of this for me?" she asks and I nod before slipping back into the bed next to her. 

"Yes. You burn a lot of calories during your heat. You need to eat to keep your strength up." I say simply before putting some pancake on a fork and lifting it to her mouth for her. She takes a greedy bite, already reaching for a strawberry, but I bat her hand away gently. "Let me." I request, lifting the fruit to her mouth as she takes a bite. 

"I'm not used to all of this." she mumbles around the food in her mouth as she goes in for another bite, clearly starving. 

"What do you usually eat during your heat?" I ask, curious to what her normal routine is since she travels so much. She shrugs in response and grabs her fork again, having lost her patience with my speed apparently. 

"Whatever I can find. Sometimes nothing if I can't find someone to... take the edge off. It takes all of my energy to just deal with it." she explains as she eats some more. I let her words marinate in my mind, a deep sadness enveloping me at the way she's lived so far. It breaks my heart that she's felt the need to suffer like this in order to protect herself. It shows me with great clarity the way our culture has failed our females altogether. Not just Omegas. A woman should never feel the need to be lonely over being safe.