The hospitality

Y/n went out of the restroom with Carlos and get closer to Max who had his arms crossed and was on the pit wall, at a distance from the Ferrari box, but enough to be seen by Carlos and especially by y/n. As soon as she saw him, he did a couple of steps back, keeping his arms crossed like he didn't want to be heard by anybody. Carlos remained at the back of the garage, looking from apart, then he started getting ready for the race so he couldn't hear what they said.

Y/n saw Max and she thought he looked tired, which was very strange. He has always been perky and couldn't wait to start the race while that day his eyes were dull, the light blue of his pupils was dead and his skin was more white than normal. She worried about him and even though she didn't say a word, Max understood her thoughts.

"I didn't sleep well tonight, I have been sick these last few days." he said trying to reassure her.
"Oh, you okay now?" she answered. For a second it seemed like they were still friends and it was very strange to her, did she still care about him somehow? 
"Yes, I am. Thanks for asking" he smiled a bit and before silence fall between them, he asked "how's going in the Ferrari team? You're good?" he was afraid of her answer, because he knew what she was going to say.
"It's going very well!" she could feel the pain in his eyes, then she had a go at him "Nobody doubts about me or about my abilities and everybody is very kind to me." Her words hit him hard in his heart. He knew what she was going to say, and he knew he deserved all that she said, but deep in his heart, he was still hoping for a different answer.
"I'm happy you feel better than in Red Bull" he struggled so much saying those words, but he couldn't have said anything different. His eyes turned even darker than before, his lips were pale and he was missing his last training session before the race.

He thought about this when saw Carlos walking around them, always at a distance but keeping an eye on her while getting ready to start the race. He was looking at him but y/n couldn't see it because Carlos was right behind her. Max knew he had to be distant from there, from Carlos, especially after that fight some races before.
"Then, why did you come here, Max? You have to prepare yourself for the race, you're late" she said wanting to cut the conversation off. Looking at him was painful, because it reminded her of what happened with her father.
"I just want to say that I'm sorry once again. My feelings were real, they have always been real. I was an idiot because I accepted that stupid idea your father suggested to me. And, believe me, I regret it every day of my life." his voice was shaking, much more than normal. 
"Max you know how fucking hard is to have a father that doesn't support you anything you do, but you accepted that plan anyway." 

Max looked down, his father was also a big problem for him. When Max and y/n were getting closer and spent a lot of time together, one of the main topics of their conversations was their careless and unemotional fathers. It has always been hard for them to live their lives and reach their dreams because nothing seemed enough for both of their dads. Sharing their childhood traumas was very intimate and liberating and made them feel closer to each other. The first night Max opened up talking about his father, Jos, he held his tears but his voice was cracking, just like now, talking to y/n, there on the pit lane.

They looked at each other for a couple of seconds, y/n and Max's eyes were turning red as every time they talked about their problematic fathers. That was a good point for y/n and Max couldn't reply a word. Meanwhile, Carlos wore his suit, tied on the waists as always. He was wearing the ice bib, holding a cup with a long straw and walked alongside Max and Y/n without saying a word. Carlos just looked at her, with a little smile that she gave him back for a moment, then he disappeared with Charles who was following him. She was about to leave when Max held her hand, pulling her to him. She turned back moving her head like "what do you want now?"
"I came here for another reason, actually" it seemed like he didn't want to say it.
"For what?" she asked annoyed.
"you...you shouldn't trust Carlos" the words came out all in one breath.
"You talk about trust? Max, you lied to me all the time. Now leave, all the pilots are attending the parade" she went away but he touched her shoulder so she turned back again, pissed off.
"You have to trust me" his voice was calm and convincing.
She sighed and stared at Max, waiting for him to explain what he meant.
"I saw Carlos this morning talking with his ex-girlfriend, Isabela, somewhere around the paddock" he was still calm. She looked at him and her heart stopped for a second, especially after imagining Carlos with her walking together. "You're lying." She tried her best to remain calm and mad at him.
"Take a walk in the hospitality and you'll see her for sure. Now I have to go, the parade is about to start for real." He went away, leaving y/n alone and angry about him, about Carlos and about Isabela who has never seen before. She knew she was blonde just because she had seen some pictures of their breakup, it was basically on every Instagram page about Formula 1. Y/n remembered she was nice, much more than her, actually. Especially when she smelled of motor oil and plastic tires, she could smell it from the uniform, her hands and hair. She went to the bathroom just to check her conditions. She had no make up on and the ponytail made her feel like a potato. It was disgusting, Isabela would have been stunning, in fact she was.

Before the race started, y/n wanted to check if Max was telling the truth for once, even if he had a lot of reasons to lie even this time. She climbed the stairs that connect the garages to the Ferrari hospitality right before the drivers come back from the parade and enter in their own cars. As soon as she arrived there, everybody was looking out the balcony or near the big tv screens waiting for the race to begin. She tried to find Isabela, but it was almost impossible, there were a lot of people, she hadn't stayed on the hospitality during the race since she was 9. She took a quick look at the restaurant zone, but it was almost empty and she wasn't there, then she looked at the balcony, she saw a blonde girl, wearing a very short dress, it was white and dotted and she was talking to another girl, with brown straight hair and a pair of sunglasses. They were laughing but then they turned and matched y/n's gaze. They were Isabela and Charles' girlfriend, Charlotte Siné. They both stared at her as y/n stared at them. Her heart stopped, Max was right. She went down and bumped into Mattia Binotto.

"I was searching for you! We need you on the pit wall for Charles' race. Let's start!" he seemed very encouraging and all her thoughts and fear about the race disappeared in a second. She followed him and while she was walking to reach her new workspace she saw Max fixing his hair inside the suit. They looked at each other without saying a word but they both understood what they were thinking about. Max was right, Isabela was in the Ferrari paddock, right above Charles and Carlos' garages. Next to Max there was Checo, also getting ready to enter in his car. He smiled at her and showed his thumb up. She thought that the only thing she was really missing of Red Bull was Checo and Carola's support.