The goodbye

She felt the world falling on her. Carlos should not have seen the pictures of her and Max before she told him. That way she was sure Carlos would be angry, already harbouring suspicions about her and Max. This was the smoking gun that only proved him right. Y/n felt crushed by this situation, dragged adrift. She had just lost her job over this shit and now she was going to lose Carlos too, she was sure of it.

"I'm sure Carlos will believe you" Charle kept telling her.
"You know it won't go like that at all, Charles" Y/n didn't know what to do.
"Go home, get some rest. Today was a terrible day for you, give yourself a break" he patted her shoulder. She merely nodded and together they walked towards the exit of the factory, when they both bumped into Carlos who was entering the building.
All three of them were petrified. Carlos's eyes were on Y/n and she felt intimidated by that look that until recently used to make her feel good. Now the only thing she wanted to do was run away from it.

Charles broke that deafening silence.
"Shall I walk you home?"
"No, thanks... I'll call a taxi."
"Where are you going? It's still early" asked Carlos who did not know what had happened in Binotto's studio.
"Charlie!!! You must come to the track now!" Shouted a mechanic from afar. It sounded pretty important.

Y/n's heart clenched tightly. It was no longer her job to worry about the condition of Charles' car, it would no longer be her job to work in those offices, think up new strategies, make calculations, get excited when the races went well and think that it was all the result of her hard work. She would no longer know what was going on in there, what the problem was that Charles had to run off after giving her a kiss on the forehead and leaving her alone with Carlos, who was still watching her.

"So? Are you leaving?" urged Carlos, already nervous, still seeming to want to avoid the subject of photos.
"Yes," she replied lowering her gaze, she didn't have the courage to tell him what had just happened either, so she walked away towards the exit, but Carlos grabbed her by the wrist and made her turn around.
"Please, Carlos" her eyes were red.
"Why didn't you tell me?" His tone was disappointed, almost pleading
"Because there was nothing to tell, now let me go."
"No. You were with Max."
"Nothing happened, Carlos"
"If nothing happened why didn't you tell me right away? Y/n I told you I love you, in the hospital, oblivious to everything and you didn't tell me" his voice was rising "it didn't occur to you that you had to tell me? Do I look like an idiot? Or did you think I would never find out?" his tone of voice was now really high, so much so that some mechanics and security officers had also turned towards them.

"Carlos don't shout, please. Let me go" he was still holding her wrist.
"You knew I suspected Max all along, why didn't you tell me how things were? Because something happened between you! That's why."
"No!"
"I don't care, I don't believe you" he let go of her wrist.

She looked at him with tear-filled eyes. She was so angry at the world that she didn't know whether to scream or punch something. She couldn't say anything, not that Carlos wanted to listen to her.
"Now go, Charles will need you."
"I don't work here any more" the two exchanged fiery glances. Carlos' blood froze, but he was too agitated and angry with her to ask her why.
"Well, that's better. So I won't see you again" he spat those words full of venom, his eyes throwing just as much, yet he didn't want to say those words, he regretted them the very moment he said them, but by then he had done it. It was as if he stabbed himself straight through the heart.
"Perfect, goodbye Carlos"
"Goodbye, Y/n"

The two turned and went in opposite directions, Carlos entered the factory, while Y/n walked towards the gate where she waited for the taxi to take her home.
Y/n was shaking all over, she even struggled to dial the taxi number and as she waited outside she felt like vomiting.

*CARLOS POV*

Carlos entered the factory and without saying hi to anyone, went straight to his office. He slammed the door, locked it and punched the wall next to the door. Then he ran his hand over his beard and over his mouth, almost as if he wanted to pull his skin from nervousness. He thought and thought again about her and Max.

He couldn't shake that disgusting image of the two of them naked, him giving her one of his sweatshirts and them going out together after fucking.
He felt like throwing up so he threw another punch at the wall. His knuckles were smeared with white paint and blood.
"Carlos? Are you ok?" it was Ricky on the other side of the door, in the hallway, alarmed no doubt by the thuds coming from that room.
"Yes, Ricky, leave me alone."
No answer came, only footsteps moving away from that door.

Carlos looked around, both hands clenched and resting on his hips. He let himself go in the desk chair and closed his eyes. He tried not to think about anything, yet those images were tattooed inside his brain and would not go away. He began to think that this had been going on for who knows how long, that his suspicions were well-founded.
Anger again took the place of paranoia. He had opened his heart to another person, it had taken a lot, and yet he had done it. And this was the result. He was about to fuck up his career for this relationship, he was about to die for this relationship and what was the result? This.
He couldn't accept it, it wasn't possible. He was a Formula 1 driver, he'd spat blood to get there and he wasn't going to let anyone get in his way again. Y/n had definitely taken him away from his goal, distracted him

He could fuck whoever he wanted, that wasn't a problem, he didn't need anything like this in his life. Every time he opened himself up to new relationships he always ended up burnt out and he couldn't stand that any more, he felt like a dickhead.
And the thing that pissed him off the most was that, despite the fact that the one with Y/n had never understood what kind of relationship it was, he was even worse off than when he had left Isabella. Y/n had fucked his brain completely and that drove him crazy. It wasn't possible, it couldn't happen again.
The fact that they had fired her was a sign, yes, he was more than convinced of that. He wouldn't see her at work in the factory anymore, he wouldn't see her during GPs, he wouldn't see her at home, anywhere. She was gone forever from his life and Carlos was glad of it. He could devote himself to his work.
Y/n was dead to him.

*Y/N POV*

When he finally arrived home, Y/n jumped into bed and stared at the roof until it was dark outside. Then he got up and like a zombie went down to the kitchen. She was pale, it was as if there was no blood circulating in her veins. She dragged herself from the sofa to the armchair, then back to the sofa. She didn't look at her mobile phone, she didn't have the energy to answer the messages Charles sent her every day to see how she was, if she needed anything. She felt floating, as if her feet didn't touch the ground, as if everything around was distorted, unreal.

Days passed without Y/n leaving the house, eating only ham toast and barely showering. She had lost track of time, hadn't noticed that it was Thursday and that it was media day. She had decided not to use her mobile phone, not to read any news about her or F1, it would have made her feel even worse.It was Thursday evening when her mobile phone suddenly rang. Y/n was lying on the sofa, with the blanket on her, dozing even though she was still awake. As soon as she heard the mobile phone, she was astonished. Who could it be? Probably Charles.

Christian Horner. She widened her eyes, he was the last person she expected to call her.

"hello?"
"Y/n? Can you hear me?"
"Yes, I can hear you."
"During the conferences they talked about what happened to you at Ferrari. They bombarded Binotto with questions, and there were also some not too veiled criticism."
"Why did you call me?"
Christian took a deep breath, he seemed to have difficulty pronouncing those words.
"I wanted to say I'm sorry for what happened...." he said all in one breath. It was a big step from Christian towards his daughter.
"Thank you, dad" even for Y/n it was difficult to say those words.
"Is there anything I can do to help you? Do you need anything? Shall I send someone to Italy?"
"No, thank you. I just want to stay here at home and maybe go back to London as soon as I've recovered a bit."
"Your mother would know exactly what to do in such cases" his voice was broken.
"Yeah, she was the best..." her eyes filled with tears and her nose started to burn, but she didn't want to cry.
"I'm here if you want..."
"Thank you, dad..."