The sound of the mountains

The next morning Y/n woke up relaxed, as if she had slept for a whole month. The bed was very comfortable, the pillow equally so, and opening her eyes, she saw the snowy landscape all around her. She stretched, remaining under the covers, then moved the sheets and got out of bed, wrinkling her eyes. It was all happening in slow motion, the mountain was having its effect and Y/n felt good, cuddled, serene.

She walked to the bathroom door and opened it, forgetting that she shared the room with Charles.
"oh god sorry!" Said y/n closing her eyes and the bathroom door. Charles had just stepped out of the shower but already had a white towel around his waist. His wet hair was dripping down his cheeks and all around was full of hot steam.

Y/n immediately closed the door, her heart pounding, then Charles came out of the bathroom, exactly as she had seen him. Shirtless, his hair dripping.

"Sorry I didn't knock, I didn't hear any noise, I thought you were at the gym!" Y/n's cheeks were red, she felt hot, she felt embarrassed about what had happened.
"Take it easy! Nothing happened. Anyway I've already been to the gym, I worked out while you were blissfully asleep." He smiled at her, then rubbed another towel over his head to dry his hair. She looked at him, but when he looked at her in turn, their gazes immediately drifted apart.

"I'm going to dress up and have breakfast," Y/n cut short as he entered the bathroom.
Once down at the restaurant, she grabbed some food, lots of food. Sweet and savoury, she felt good, she had a lot of appetite and ate everything she put on the plates.
At the end of breakfast she felt very full, so she walked over to the fireplace in the lobby and sat in the armchair next to it for some time, looking at the view outside. Her eyes closed slowly, lulled by the crackling of burning wood.

"Let's go skiing!" Charles was in great shape, more active than ever, as happy as she was, but they showed it in two totally different ways. Y/n turned towards him who was already wearing his skiing suit. Y/n smiling (and snorting) went up to her room, wore her skiing clothes and returned to the lobby where Charles was waiting for her while looking at his mobile phone. He looked at it a little annoyed

"Everything ok?" Y/n asked
Charles looked up at her and merely nodded, then got up from the chair and they both walked towards the hotel ski station.

"Are we going to the black slopes?" Said y/n genuinely concerned about her friend's overenthusiasm and lack of her practice
"Don't worry, we'll do those in the afternoon" Charles didn't understand much. She followed him, they took the cable car and got quite high.
"Charlie, consider that I haven't skied since I was nine years old.... I'm 27."
"As long as you're with me, nothing can happen to you, remember that" he smiled at her, she smiled at him back.

When they reached the top, they were almost ready to go down. She turned towards him who was already looking at her, when at a certain point she saw him approach her, her face. She remained motionless with her gaze fixed on him, almost trembling. He approached her and...
"Your helmet is badly fastened" He took the hooks of his helmet and adjusted it properly for her
"Thanks dad" Said y/n teasing him
"Sorry I don't want you to die" He smiled at her, then tapped her right on top of her head.
"I'm not your engineer anymore" She poked him
"I don't want the same..." Charles was more serious now, he turned back to the runway, adjusted his helmet and waited for y/n to stand beside him too, then they began their descent together.

Y/n felt free and light, Charles was definitely ahead of her, she had seen him whizzing alongside until they both reached the end of the slope.
"That was amazing!" Y/n was full of adrenaline
"You did great!" Charles and y/n high-fived and hugged each other.
"Shall we do it again?" Charles proposed and y/n immediately agreed. They went up and down many times, not without falling of course. Once each fell on the soft snow and the other helped him to his feet. They did this so many times that the sun was almost setting.
"What time is it?" Asked y/n with shattered legs
"I think we skipped lunch."
"Not too bad, I had eaten a lot for breakfast"
"We can get ready and go out for dinner, what do you say?"
"Alright! Race you down for the last time?"
Y/n heard no reply because Charles had already left. She hurriedly left but, clearly, Charles had arrived before her.
"You cheated!" Said y/n taking off her skis.
"Me? Absolutely not" Charles was also settling back into the hotel.
"But I saw you leave earlier!"
"That wasn't me!"
"You're a liar!" Y/n tried to push him over the snow, but lost her balance and fell backwards, her back on the fresh snow as Charles looked at her laughing.
"Help me instead of teasing me!" Charles held out his hand to help her up, but y/n pulled him causing him to fall on her.

Around them there was no one, just the sound of the mountains.
It was an instant, a blink of an eye. Charles moved his lips to hers and the two kissed. It was instinctive, as if they had both been shocked. It didn't even last a second, yet it had happened. Both of their hearts were beating wildly, both were trembling to the core.

What had they done? And now? Was everything going to change? What about their friendship? And Carlos? No, Carlos wasn't to know. But what would become of the two of them? Had they just destroyed their friendship? Or were they going to sweep the dirt under the carpet and pretend nothing had happened?

They opted for the latter.

Charles jumped up as he approached her. She stood up alone, in the deafening silence of the mountain, which now rumbled even louder.
Y/n shook off the snow, picked up her skis and together with Charles, at a safe distance from her, they returned to the hotel.

In the heads of both of them that kissing scene beat continuously. They both cursed themselves inside, but neither of them had the courage to talk about it. They stood in silence, careful not to let any misunderstandings happen, trying to keep their distance from each other. Suddenly the holiday had taken a turn too unexpected and neither of them had any idea how to handle it.