Hard to forget

Charles woke up early in the morning, Y/n was still asleep and he decided he would go to the gym to train. He ate breakfast then headed for the gym. He worked out for a couple of hours, then, tired but satisfied, he thought to go back to his room and take a long, exhausting shower, but mainly because his back was hurting a bit.
In the meantime, Carlos had just entered the gym. Charles saw him and felt he owed him an apology, but Carlos started talking first.

"I didn't know you were with Y/n on this holiday" Carlos picked up two weights without looking Charles in the face.
"I invited her, she needed a break after what had happened to her" he sat down on a bench to rest his back.
"She can ignore me if she wants, she doesn't have to talk to me"
"She's just trying to be nice to you even though she's heartbroken. It wasn't easy for her."
"It's not easy for me either" Carlos sounded annoyed, as if Charles took it for granted that this didn't cause him to lose sleep.

"Have you changed your mind?" asked Charles and no, he didn't really want to hear Carlos's answer.
"I'm still convinced I made the best decision. I need to focus on..."
"...on your career" continued Charles, relieved to have heard this answer.
"yes, good" said straight Carlos as he started to train. Charles watched him for a moment, then wipe the sweat off his face before getting up, his back was hurting more and more.

"She won't be in love with you forever..." Charles said, staring at an empty wall in front of him, holding his back.
"Are you talking about you?" Carlos was starting to get nervous. He had never seen Charles as a possible rival, quite the contrary. He had always been his best sidekick, the most effective helper with Y/n, yet now there was something not right.

"I'm talking in general, Carlos" Charles suddenly turned his gaze towards Carlos and the two looked at each other for a few seconds. The glances were full of tension. Then Carlos took a deep breath and asked him something that had been buzzing in his head since that morning.
"Have you...?" but he didn't have the courage to go through with it. Anyway, Charles understood everything.
"No..." he lied, in his mind there was that kiss in the snow and that brushed kiss in the room. He decided not to say it, not to complicate things too much, but the guilt was eating him alive.

"Do you like her?" Carlos really didn't want to know.
"No..." Charles answered by instinct, because the context required him to answer that, but he had not really thought about how he felt about her. And that was certainly not the time to do it.

Nobody was around them. Carlos couldn't bring himself to look Charles in the face for fear that his eyes would give away more than just that no.

"But she deserves the best" continued Charles, who was holding back to tell Carlos everything.
"I know..." Carlos felt guilty, she really did deserve the best and he had pushed her away forever.
"Oh here she comes" Charles and Carlos turned as soon as the glass door of the gym opened and Y/n entered.

She was wearing a pair of skinny leggings, a black Nike crop top and a ponytail. Carlos and Charles turned towards her and looked at her. They each thought about how beautiful she was. She felt their gazes on her.

"Good morning Ferrari guys" Y/n felt relaxed despite having her ex and her best friend/whatever in front of her now.

"Good morning!" Charles' tone matched Y/n's, her presence made him feel good, and interrupted that difficult conversation with his teammate.
"Morning" Carlos' tone, on the other hand, clashed with everything else. He was quite annoyed by the conversation he had with Charles and Y/n's presence didn't help at all. "I'm going to go use that bench" he turned away from the other two who watched him start training.
"I think I'll go and have a shower, I'm too tired" Charles didn't want to leave, however he necessarily had to go and lie down on the bed before the pain increased and complicated the situation, as his personal trainer, Andrea Ferrari, was not there.

Y/n looked at Charles almost pitifully, hoping to convince him to stay there, so it wouldn't be just Y/n and Carlos in the gym.
"I'll see you later, okay?" They smiled at each other and Charles held her hands tight before walking away as to give her courage to face that situation alone.

Y/n took a deep breath, from a distance Carlos was working out hard, listening to music and not looking at her. Y/n put her headphones on, glanced at the while room and decided to start training using the equipment furthest away from Carlos. The minutes passed and the silence became more and more deafening. The two continued to train on their own, without ever exchanging words.

Yet they looked at each other, continuously.

Their gazes never crossed, but both always cast an eye to see how the other was doing. Y/n noticed how Carlos's physique was even more defined than she remembered and as time passed, Carlos was getting sweatier, more fatigued... and more handsome. Both were out of breath, they had been working out a lot and had managed to do it for an hour and a half without ever talking to each other, or arguing, or fucking.

Then Y/n decided to complete the workout by doing a few sets of pull-ups on the bar. She approached the bar but it was positioned too high for her. She tried a couple of times to hang herself, but to no avail.
"What the fuck" Y/n said quietly to herself, breaking the silence. She tried one more time, she was almost there but then failed again.
"fuck it" she said, touching the wrist of her right hand, it hurt a little. She tried one last time. She took a good look at the bar, gave herself a good push and... felt two big, strong hands encircling her waist.

Quickly Y/n grabbed onto the bar and realised that it was Carlos who had helped her from behind. She shuddered at the thought of him touching her. She was reminded of all the times he took her by the hips to play, to hold her, to fuck her. She banished those thoughts at once and began to work out.

"Back straight, don't stay bent over," Carlos stood behind her, watching her body move, trying not to dwell on the butt that once he could hold in his hands. He concentrated on looking at her back, then at her hair. Then suddenly, he placed one hand on her back and one on her stomach, to straighten her posture and help her in the correct movement.

"Inhale.....exhale"

Y/n had goosebumps all over her body and tried to resist any thought, any reaction. She couldn't let anything show. She didn't have to.
"Cross your legs" Y/n followed all of Carlos' advice, even though at times it seemed like real authoritative commands that drove Y/n crazy in a very good way.

After completing the sets of pull-ups, Carlos helped her down to the floor, holding her hips tightly all the time. However, when Y/n touched the ground, Carlos did not let her go. She turned towards him and his hands followed her movement, never letting go. 

Carlos looked down at her with a sweet smile.
"Your body hasn't changed" came naturally out of him. He remembered all the curves of Y/n's body, all the hidden, most intimate places. He remembered her shape, he loved running his fingers over her body, he remembered it with his eyes closed.
"What?" asked Y/n astonished by his words, but perhaps she appeared far too astonished, so much so that Carlos woke up from that trance-like state. He immediately detached his hands from Y/n's hips and took a step back.

"N...nothing..." Carlos quickly left the gym, forgetting his water bottle and mobile phone near the flat bench.