The team radio

One of the things that had always been difficult for y/n was falling asleep. At some point in her life, when she was a child, she had had to face nightmares alone, since her mother had passed away. From then on, falling asleep, unless she was really tired, was almost an impossible task for her. Yet, whenever she stayed at Carlos's house for the night, she managed to fall asleep easily. Except once. That time when Carlos wouldn't stop snoring and Y/n only managed to sleep for a handful of minutes before waking up with a start. She tossed and turned on the bed when she realised that her hand was entwined with Carlos'. This took her by surprise because this hadn't happened since London and it seemed very strange to her. That didn't mean she didn't like it, in fact, she smiled and thought back to those good times that were long gone. She missed London very much, that happy time of smiles, sweet kisses and lots of attention. She wondered if Carlos missed them too, but she was convinced that he did not miss them at all, that he was more than happy in that "situationship". Yet, she missed London, but would never admit it out loud, not even to herself.
She turned around on the other side of the bed and moved her hand away from the big one of Carlos, who was sleeping. Suddenly Y/n felt Carlos squeezing her hand. He was unconsciously asking her not to leave, to stay together at least at night, when even they could not see what was going on. It was a secret within a secret, which could only take place at night, when both of them were sleeping and only their souls could see it, and no one else. Y/n's heart beat fast, she did not move an inch and left her hand wrapped in Carlos's, almost twice the size of her own. She smiled, wondering if Carlos had squeezed her hand during the night other times. She fell asleep thinking about how strange they were together.

"Paramedics are on their way" a voice interrupted Y/n's thoughts. It was Mattia talking agitatedly to Ricky, Caco, Rupert and Carlos' father on the phone from Spain. Immediately Y/n realised where she was and what was going on. Her gaze was still fixed on those monitors framing Carlos' car from any angle, yet he didn't move, Carlos was always inside his car.

"Please don't leave me, Carlos. I love you..." murmured Y/n, not realising that all radio links were open in case anyone managed to talk to Carlos. Everyone, then, heard Y/n's voice saying that sentence. It was heard, loud and clear on TV and all the Sky commentators, surprized, wondered whose voice it was.

"who spoke?" "this voice sounds familiar" "it sounds like Y/n Horner's voice" "it was Charles' engineer, Horner's daughter". For a few seconds, that team radio was at the centre of the conversations of everyone watching the race.

"What the fuck... was that Y/n?" Christian turned to Max and Checo who were also watching the images of the accident from the Red Bull pits. Checo pretended not to have heard that audio while Max completely ignored Christian's question, which made him even more nervous.

Medics and firemen arrived near Carlos' car and worked together to extinguish the flames and extract Carlos' body as quickly as possible. "He's unconscious, but he's breathing," said Mattia, who was in liaison with the doctors on the track. Immediately the news spread throughout the paddock and on television. Charles, who had stood beside Y/n in silence and with bated breath, looked at her and smiled.
"He's alive, y/n". She was still motionless, too shaken to understand what the people around her were saying. All she heard was a ringing in her ears, everything seemed muffled to her.
"Y/n!!!" Charles was shaking her out of his arms, and finally y/n became present again. She was pale as a rags, in fact a mechanic immediately brought her a glass of mineral salts and in no time she regained her colour and the buzzing disappeared. As soon as she came to her senses, she got off the stool and, ignoring everyone around her, ran towards the Red Bull pits with blood pumping in her head from anger. She made her way towards the garages, looked around and saw Checo and Carola who ran towards her as soon as they saw her.
"That was your voice from the team radio, wasn't it? How are you now?" Checo spoke to her worriedly like a father.
"What team radio?" Y/n was confused again, but she had something else to do, so she paid little attention to Checo's words.
"It's all over, sweetheart" Carola hugged Y/n tightly and although she loved them both and their affection was sincere, she slipped out of Carola's arms and, without saying anything, continued towards the inside of the pits, looking for Max who she found sitting on the cot in his restroom. He was staring into space, looking shattered.