14 | unexpected

Chapter 14 : unexpected

'Thank you' was all she got in return and the curve of his lips that was hardly a smile. Ruhaani's mood went sour from there onwards. She was beginning to not like Aadarsh. He hadn't had the basic courtesy to compliment her back. Then again it seemed like a common trait between the Sehgal brothers. She had put so much effort and patience into getting ready for the evening. All the ladies had complimented her. Even his Badi Bua's husband had. 

However, her budding dislike was short-lived. Pari had somehow got some of the white roses in her hand during the pooja and was now distributing it to everyone around. The moment her daughter gave him a flower, he smiled and took it. Aadarsh had given her a proper smile, the kind that's easy to spot from across the room. 

Was he doing it on purpose? Was he ignoring her? She couldn't understand. On their first date he was putting so much effort into convincing her to marry him. But now that she was actually convinced, his efforts to get to know her were disappearing.

"Bhaiya, Bhabhi, please come onto the stage." Ashvi spoke and then turned back to photographer explaining to him what she wanted captured in the pictures. 

Aadarsh had already told Ashvi earlier on that they wouldn't get many pictures. Just a  few so that she could capture her hardwork of getting everyone dressed as per her plan.

He climbed the two steps up to the stage from the side. Ruhaani slowly followed him pausing to lift her dress whose end grazed the ground. Aadarsh had turned around and extended his hand. However she had preferred raising her skirt using both her hands instead of holding his hand. Perhaps she was being petty, returning the ignoring behavior a bit. She wasn't going to lie, it made her feel better.

He pulled his hand back looking at her. She passed him a smile to disguise her little act of hostility. He walked over to the divan placed in the middle of the stage. She followed him close behind.

They were first asked to sit beside each other. Then Aadarsh was instructed to forward his hand and hold hers. He turned his head to look at her, meeting her eyes before reaching out to hold her hand. They both smiled at the camera.

In the second, Aadarsh was asked to stand behind her, while she sat. His hands then settled on her shoulders as per the instructions from his sister. Ruhaani felt warm in her cheeks. It was a very simple touch. However, it had been a while she had been touched by a man. His fingers made contact with her skin at the shoulder.

The divan had then been shifted and they were both made to stand in front of the backdrop of flowers for the next picture. She looped her arm around his arm and  smiled at the camera. She thought it was best to avoid eye contact with him while at it. She stilled as she felt his other hand rested on hers that was around his arm.

The final one was the tricky one where he stood behind her, his hands coming around her to the front. They had to pose as though they were making each other wear the engagement rings. It wasn't as easy as it looked while looking at the picture. His hand got the wrong finger at first go. In the second attempt, his hand ended up caressing her abdomen. In the third, he had stepped closer his front pressed against her back and his breath against her neck, trying to get the ring into the right finger. And in all of those tiny moments of closeness and awkwardness they had to smile at the camera.

Ruhaaani suddenly felt suffocated. Her cheeks seemed to be on fire and her breath was labored. She was engulfed by his scent. It wasn't exactly pleasing. It just reminded her that she was very close to a man. His breath fanning her skin at the junction of her neck and shoulder added to the sudden  discomfort she felt.